The Student Room Group

Advice needed - extenuating circumstances?

Last year I underachieved majorly in AS, receiving just BCC in psychology, maths and biology, due to extenuating circumstances resulting in missing months of school in total. Due to these circumstances, this year I was to be predicted AAB, although confident I could have achieved much better, however at the very beginning of this term, just a few days in, I broke my leg and had to have surgery. I don’t go to a local college, it takes me 2 hours to get to college each morning and back, so obviously I am not able to get into college, let alone mobilise enough to spend the day there. I am absolutely devastated, as I was performing incredibly well during the summer after exams, getting top marks in everything, and now obviously I am unable to perform to that standard due to missing all the lessons. The medication and effects of surgery etc also make me very drowsy, so although lately I’ve been trying to work at home for hours all day, concentrating is very difficult.

I guess I’m just freaking out, as I had the next 10 years of my life planned out starting with university next year, and now all that seems to be changing. Unless I can learn all the content of A2 as well as the content for my AS resits within approximately 3 months, and achieve a minimum of AAB, I won’t be going to university and therefore I am stumped as what to do, particularly as my college do not allow people to retake the year, and there are not any other colleges I could attend instead. I understand I could take a gap year, not out of my own choice at all but as a necessity, however all I would be doing is self-teaching myself the A2 and AS retake content for that year. Universities probably won’t like this.

I’m really sorry for the life story haha, I’m just really in need of some advice, has anyone been in a similar situation at all? Thank you so much!
Why don't you resit your exams from last year this year working through them on your own, or in college when you can get there, then go back to college to do year 13 next year? That's what I wish I'd done (and what I was told to do multiple times to be fair :colondollar:) and would have left me in a far better position probably!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by furryface12
Why don't you resit your exams from last year this year working through them on your own, or in college when you can get there, then go back to college to do year 13 next year? That's what I wish I'd done (and what I was told to do multiple times to be fair :colondollar:) and would have left me in a far better position probably!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply, but that's the problem, ideally that's what I want to do, however my college doesn't allow me to do year 13 again next year, despite my circumstances...
Original post by ALJayde
Thanks for your reply, but that's the problem, ideally that's what I want to do, however my college doesn't allow me to do year 13 again next year, despite my circumstances...

Ah, not sure then :s-smilie: Is there another college you could go to that's maybe slightly closer to home?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by furryface12
Ah, not sure then :s-smilie: Is there another college you could go to that's maybe slightly closer to home?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately not, otherwise believe me I would not be travelling 2 hours each morning to get there! :P I think I'll either have to work my butt off to get the grades in a few months, or have to beg beg beg for them to get them to keep me on!
Original post by ALJayde
Unfortunately not, otherwise believe me I would not be travelling 2 hours each morning to get there! :P I think I'll either have to work my butt off to get the grades in a few months, or have to beg beg beg for them to get them to keep me on!

I kind of gathered that, thought it was worth the ask anyway! :tongue: Not sure what you can do then, just work when you can for now to try and keep up with what others are doing at college (or at least try not to get too far behind) and then go in when you can. Trust me, I know how hard it can be but you can do it- I came out with ABC overall despite having missed half the year and feeling completely **** the rest of it, so it is possible! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest