Is Pharmacology more Biology or Chemistry? Watch

Emperor Sheev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there, You may have seen me on the medicine thread but i need some desperate help on my 5th option. I am considering Medical Pharmacology at Cardiff University for graduate entry medicine as my fifth option. I am a lot better at Biology than Chemistry and find Biology a lot more interesting as well so i need to know whether Medical Pharmacology will be more Biology related or Chemistry related... As being interesting in the topics and doing will well in the exams will key for success at university.

Thanks in advance for your help!
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jatyization)
Hi there, You may have seen me on the medicine thread but i need some desperate help on my 5th option. I am considering Medical Pharmacology at Cardiff University for graduate entry medicine as my fifth option. I am a lot better at Biology than Chemistry and find Biology a lot more interesting as well so i need to know whether Medical Pharmacology will be more Biology related or Chemistry related... As being interesting in the topics and doing will well in the exams will key for success at university.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Pharmacology is split up in to two main disciplines: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.

Pharmacokinetics is all about what the body does to the drug, i.e. absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion. This involves a lot of calculations, and generally tends to be more chemistry-related.

Pharmacodynamics is all about what the drug does to the body, and this is very closely related to normal physiology and pathophysiology, so it would have to be closer to biology.

Because you are studying medical pharmacology, it seems that a lot of the course will be based on pharmacodynamics, and as such, it would suit your aptitude for biology.

Hope this helps!
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Pharmacology is split up in to two main disciplines: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.

Pharmacokinetics is all about what the body does to the drug, i.e. absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion. This involves a lot of calculations, and generally tends to be more chemistry-related.

Pharmacodynamics is all about what the drug does to the body, and this is very closely related to normal physiology and pathophysiology, so it would have to be closer to biology.

Because you are studying medical pharmacology, it seems that a lot of the course will be based on pharmacodynamics, and as such, it would suit your aptitude for biology.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your detailed insight! I really do appreciate the help. I have to ask though... is there really so many calculations? This is worrying as they have always been my weakness and i really dislike calculations. How hard are these calculations as well?

thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for your detailed insight! I really do appreciate the help. I have to ask though... is there really so many calculations? This is worrying as they have always been my weakness and i really dislike calculations. How hard are these calculations as well?

Most of the time it's just about learning formulae and what the individual variables are and how they're derived, e.g. rate of absorption and rate of dissolution equations.

There's not that many calculations themselves; it's often just the above. If there are calculations, it would most likely just be substituting numbers into a formula and rearranging to get the answer.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
Most of the time it's just about learning formulae and what the individual variables are and how they're derived, e.g. rate of absorption and rate of dissolution equations.

There's not that many calculations themselves; it's often just the above. If there are calculations, it would most likely just be substituting numbers into a formula and rearranging to get the answer.
So if you had to put a percentage on it, what percentage of the course entails calculations?

I know i am putting you in a weird position to answer such a question, but it will really help...
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So if you had to put a percentage on it, what percentage of the course entails calculations?

I know i am putting you in a weird position to answer such a question, but it will really help...
At Brighton, our pharmaceutical calculations exam at the end of the 1st year was worth 40% of a module that was worth 17% of the year, so it was worth about 6-7% of the whole year. There were, however, other calculations to do with lecture content, e.g. freezing point depression and other pharmaceutical sciences-related topics, like moles calculations and unit conversion questions, so all in all, I think it would come to around 10% of the year.

Hope this makes sense!
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
At Brighton, our pharmaceutical calculations exam at the end of the 1st year was worth 40% of a module that was worth 17% of the year, so it was worth about 6-7% of the whole year. There were, however, other calculations to do with lecture content, e.g. freezing point depression and other pharmaceutical sciences-related topics, like moles calculations and unit conversion questions, so all in all, I think it would come to around 10% of the year.

Hope this makes sense!
Oh wow! Thank you so much for your help. Sorry i am so LATE in replying. Iam glad to hear it is only a small amount of calculations.

I may go for Biomedical science though since it is more Biology based which interests me more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.41%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (36)
14.69%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.24%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.8%

Watched Threads