The Student Room Group

Why do you want to be an investment banker?

Is money the only reason someone would want to become an investment banker?

I actually quite enjoy reading the business/finance section of the newspapers, learning a bit about companies and how certain things can affect share prices but does this mean a career in investment banking is for me?

I'm struggling to think of reasons why I would like to be an investment banker, probably because at the moment I don't really know much about it.

Can anyone help me out?
Original post by Davelittle
Is money the only reason someone would want to become an investment banker?

I actually quite enjoy reading the business/finance section of the newspapers, learning a bit about companies and how certain things can affect share prices but does this mean a career in investment banking is for me?

I'm struggling to think of reasons why I would like to be an investment banker, probably because at the moment I don't really know much about it.

Can anyone help me out?

Watch the wolf of wall street

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by hahahoran18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't seen it but from what I gather he basically trades on the stock market?

He doesn't work on mergers or anything like that for example?
Reply 3

LOL just pls go watch it.

Lol man. Watch it then make u r mind up

Posted from TSR Mobile
motivation is cus i interned at one be4 and when i told ppl i worked at an ib they were like "omg nooo.. relly".

gets girls, gets money, gets status. i want that

Posted from TSR Mobile

his a stock broker. he gets ppl to buy and sell stock for a percentage (commision). it has nothing to do with the notion of "investment banking". he facilitates client transaction on secondary markets.
Original post by WinOrDie
LOL just pls go watch it.

It's terrible.

Wall street 1 (1986) is way way better and yes though it's old but the fundamentals of IB have not changed. brilliant movie.
Reply 8
Original post by Zenomorph
It's terrible.

Wall street 1 (1986) is way way better and yes though it's old but the fundamentals of IB have not changed. brilliant movie.

It's one of the highest rated movies of 2013.
Original post by WinOrDie
It's one of the highest rated movies of 2013.

Ohhhh wow really who gives a ......

Watch Wall street and if you have real IB instincts you'll feel it like a tonne of bricks
it seems this forum is populated by 12 year olds
nah 10 year olds more likely . LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Movies and former glory is usually what makes people want to go into IB so much. Cuz everyone who's seen TWoWS or Wall Street thinks that IB is equivalent to easy and quick money. The truth is that it was like that till the 90's, however during the past decade things in IB have changed drastically. The dream of easily becoming a millionaire by the age of 30 is dead now and the reality is that IB is nothing more than bad hours for a slightly higher salary which you basically don't have the time to spend.

Don't get me wrong - IB is still a good place to be in, especially if you don't mind the fast paced lifestyle, however comparing it to movies such as The Wolf of Wall Street is just wrong.

Original post by Zenomorph

it's old but the fundamentals of IB have not changed.
So wrong...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by wannabebg
Movies and former glory is usually what makes people want to go into IB so much. Cuz everyone who's seen TWoWS or Wall Street thinks that IB is equivalent to easy and quick money. The truth is that it was like that till the 90's, however during the past decade things in IB have changed drastically. The dream of easily becoming a millionaire by the age of 30 is dead now and the reality is that IB is nothing more than bad hours for a slightly higher salary which you basically don't have the time to spend.

Don't get me wrong - IB is still a good place to be in, especially if you don't mind the fast paced lifestyle, however comparing it to movies such as The Wolf of Wall Street is just wrong.

So wrong...

Justify your comment .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending