minaekei
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'll try to keep this short and bold the relevant content to my question haha..

When I was picking my subjects for GCSE, my dream was own my own Entertainment company or be an Artist. Because of this I chose Music and Art & Design for my GCSE chosen subjects. Unfortunately, picking those subjects put too much stress on me, I got bored and unmotivated because I didn't like how I not able to express myself, so I lost the passion and now I don't want to pursue a job in any of those subjects despite achieving good grades for both of them.

I decided to pick Business studies, Sociology and Fashion for A levels. I chose Business studies because I was told that it would help me in starting up my own Entertainment Company. Note that I chose these subjects BEFORE i realized I did not want to follow my previous dream any longer.

I now have 3 new things I want to do in my life after a huge change of events in my life. I want to go into the Fashion industry or become a Prosecutor.

Many people have been saying that History is not needed to be a prosecutor, but Law would be a good choice. Others are saying that I should stick to Business studies despite not wanted to follow my past dream, because my wishes for the future could change again.

So now I'm in a dilemma on whether I should stay doing Business Studies at AS or take Law instead. So what would you guys on here do?

I have to make the decision by tuesday, so If anyone could give me their opinions on what I should do now, It would be really helpful!
MorganA07
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I was you, I would take law if your chosen career is a prosector.

Look at what the modules entail in each of them, then make a decision.
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Business studies is more applicable to the real world. In terms of respect they're both on similar levels really. A level Law in itself barely means much; If you want to become a prosecutor go do a Law degree or go to Law school.
minaekei
Rep:
?
Would it be possible to do Law as a degree if you did not take it in Alevel?
grassntai
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by minaekei)
Would it be possible to do Law as a degree if you did not take it in Alevel?
Yes but I'd recommend doing an essay subject like History or English.
minaekei
Rep:
?
(Original post by grassntai)
Yes but I'd recommend doing an essay subject like History or English.
The problem is, at the college im in, the only history they do is based on the monarchy and war etc, nothing to do with Law or Politics, and English is the same but with Poems, Language or writing up Analysis on books. It doesn't have anything to do with profession I want to go into so I'm still stuck ..

I feel like taking BS would help me if i wanted to change my future dream job, but Law may help me in the Legal profession? I'm so stuck right now :confused:
grassntai
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by minaekei)
The problem is, at the college im in, the only history they do is based on the monarchy and war etc, nothing to do with Law or Politics, and English is the same but with Poems, Language or writing up Analysis on books. It doesn't have anything to do with profession I want to go into so I'm still stuck ..

I feel like taking BS would help me if i wanted to change my future dream job, but Law may help me in the Legal profession? I'm so stuck right now :confused:
Listen it's not the content of the subjects that matter - it's the transferable skills from rigorous essay based subjects, like History, that help nurture you for a Law degree. A Law degree consists a lot of essay writing. An A level Law in itself is really pointless because they tend to simplify concepts in Law which universities don't like.
minaekei
Rep:
?
^That's a fair point. I don't like the sound of taking History but maybe English will be a better course to take because I did well in English GCSE. Thanks for your help!
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To work for the CPS (presumably you're British), you'll need a law degree.
Law, as a degree, has no set a level requirements. Hence, as long as you do subjects that resemble skills/info for a law degree, you'll be fine.

Business is a good A Level. Can't really say much more about it. Won't be as preferred for law as others.

I'm currently doing law, and I absolutely adore it! I'm hoping to do Law at Uni, then become a Criminal or Human Rights Barrister. If you apply for Law at Uni, some will say it's good, others indifferent, some say it's bad to do. Personally, I think it really helps as everything done in the 2 year a level, is covered in the first 6-8 months of the degree. This means that there is a rough knowledge starting the course, so if there are any personal/private issues going on (missing home/not settling/any other factors), and even if there aren't, your course shouldn't be too heavy as you have some knowledge. Of course, the degree is far more in depth.

Law deemed an 'softer' a level ('harder' being traditional subjects - English/History/Sciences etc), but really all a levels are 'hard'. (N.B Business is also a 'softer' a level.)

Law is a great subject to do because of how real it is - most things in the news are worth knowing for the course, because it's a modern subject. The contents are also really interesting, and should you have some good teachers (I've got a former Criminal Solicitor and a Civil Litigation Solicitor), it gets quite interesting when they tell you about their careers!

To help you decide/if you decide, some fun/interesting cases that are studied: R v Brown (shockingly funny facts), and R v Wilson (weird, but compare it to R v Brown); R v Clarence is good to know, and is linked with R v R. Also, MUST know: Donoghue v Stevenson - you're teacher will be impressed if you know it (any lawyer in the UK will be able to tell you Donoghue v Stevenson, with some alterations in minor details), so it's worth knowing!

Please, if you really can't decide, do Law! If you want to going to Law as a career, Law A level is good. If not, it's still a brilliant A level. Just be prepared to debate a lot, and have lots of strongly supported options - it's how you get really good grades!

Good luck, and enjoy whatever you decide!

(If you've got any questions regarding Law, feel free to PM me and I'll help as much as I can.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads