MrBetham
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Katy,

When can students apply for finance and how long with the process take?
Katy Barge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MrBetham)
Hi Katy,

When can students apply for finance and how long with the process take?
Morning,

Students will be able to submit an application from early 2015. We will notify students through their UCAS account (provided they have agreed to share information) as well as our regional partners who are on our mailing list when the time comes.

Students should apply early to ensure they have their money in time for the start if their course. The quickest and easiest way to apply is online at www.gov.uk/studentfinance. They don't need to have accepted a place at university or college; they can use their preferred choice and update it online later if anything changes. Typically, it can take at least 6 weeks to assess an application where we have all of the necessary information and evidence. We work with various other government agencies in the background to verify information such as HMPO, HMRC and DWP.

If you would like to receive our termly email updates you can contact your regional adviser via the regional support page of the Practitioners' website:
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/r...l-support.aspx
MrBetham
Rep:
?
What evidence do students need for their application?
Katy Barge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What evidence do students need for their application?
All new applicants are asked for proof of identity. They don’t need to send us their UK passport, just give us the details. If they don’t have a UK passport they’ll need to send us other evidence such as their birth certificate or non-UK passport. These must be originals, not photocopies.

If they’re applying for student finance that depends on their household income they might be asked for photocopies of financial evidence, such as their parents’ or partner’s P60 – they shouldn’t send us originals.

You can find out more about the type of evidence students need to submit in our 'frequently asked questions' factsheet:
www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/resources
MrBetham
Rep:
?
And do they need to send evidence every year they apply for student finance?
Katy Barge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And do they need to send evidence every year they apply for student finance?
We ask new students to provide proof of their identity in the first year of their course only. However, we may ask students to provide evidence each year depending on their circumstances or the type of evidence they have sent in previously e.g. if they have applied for Dependants' Grants they will be requested to provide their most recent tax credit award notice for each academic year. Also, if they have been assessed as 'independent' due to estrangement from their parents, we require evidence of this each year.

We will notify students of any further information or evidence we require. They can check this via their online account at www.gov.uk/studentfinance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise