i haven't done GCSE maths or english in a long time...how to get up to standard?

Watch
Nature_junkie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hi guys,

basically i haven't done my maths or english in a long time. i really don't know where to start when it comes to studying for the gcses. i am 27 and want to return to education. i have left it too late to go this year, but i am aiming to get onto an access course next year.

i would have liked to have sat the gcse exams as an external student, but i don't know where i am going to begin. i need a lot of practice as it's been years. i have an old maths book which is i think key skills level 2 and it has basic maths in it, but i haven't studied any stuff like trigometry, physics, chemistry, calculus, statistics, etc and would not know where to begin.

any books or online resources that can start me off at the very basics and move me up to gcse level by next year? this goes for english too. i don't want to spend a fortune on books, so any money saving tips would be great.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
It is entirely possible to teach yourself GCSE maths. You just need to buy the revision and workbooks (they're not expensive, less than £20 total) and work your way through them. Download lots of past papers from the exam board website and do them over and over. Make use of tutorials and lessons on YouTube and BBC Bitesize as well.

English is going to be a little more difficult, I had a tutor who helped me - would you be able to get one? Two hours a week would be sufficient.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You will be fine.

As above; the textbooks and websites such as bite-size are very good.
Also if you know anyone who is doing GCSE's (young family members, for instance), I'm sure they can help you out and you could in turn teach them some things that you know about.
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I bought a second hand GCSE maths book a couple of years ago to do some revision before starting an Access course, and was surprised to find that it started right from the beginning - basic addition and subtraction, etc - and moved all the way to higher tier GCSE. So you shouldn't need to get anything more basic than a GCSE textbook.
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was in this position a few years ago.
I just bought some secondhand cheap gcse book of Amazon and read through them. You can get some for like £1 +p&p
They are quite well written because they are for 14-16 years olds.
iloveteddy14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you though about the dlc it's a distance learning access course you can do from home and it includes English maths and it at gcse level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gt459
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've heard good things about this site in regards to Maths

https://www.khanacademy.org/math
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.33%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.55%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (74)
13.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.97%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.66%
Financial worries (35)
6.22%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.17%

Watched Threads