iines
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I'm an international student planning on studying photography in 2015.

It's ridiculously hard choosing unis and even after reading everything about the different photography courses and the unis that offer them, I'm as lost as ever! I'm mostly looking at unis in/near London and a few in the south as well. I have two unis I know I'm going to apply to (AUB and LCC), but that still leaves me with 3 open slots.

My problem is, I'm not really keen on doing a fine art based photography course, since I'm more into fashion/documentary/editorial etc. I know that for example Brighton's course is heavily fine art, but that's about it.
And as I am unfortunately unable to attend any open days, I'd love to hear people's personal opinions on the following unis and if possible, their facilities/quality of teaching as well!

UWE Bristol
Middlesex
Westminster
Hertfordshire
UCA Rochester
Bath Spa
Ravensbourne
West London

Thank you in advance!
JJ_TW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iines)
Hi! I'm an international student planning on studying photography in 2015.

It's ridiculously hard choosing unis and even after reading everything about the different photography courses and the unis that offer them, I'm as lost as ever! I'm mostly looking at unis in/near London and a few in the south as well. I have two unis I know I'm going to apply to (AUB and LCC), but that still leaves me with 3 open slots.

My problem is, I'm not really keen on doing a fine art based photography course, since I'm more into fashion/documentary/editorial etc. I know that for example Brighton's course is heavily fine art, but that's about it.
And as I am unfortunately unable to attend any open days, I'd love to hear people's personal opinions on the following unis and if possible, their facilities/quality of teaching as well!

UWE Bristol
Middlesex
Westminster
Hertfordshire
UCA Rochester
Bath Spa
Ravensbourne
West London

Thank you in advance!
I've not long started my first year doing photography at West London (UWL), i also applied for Westminster, LCC & Ravensbourne.

I have visited them all for open days etc. so it was easier for me to make my decision.

When I visited ravensbourne to me it was obviously one of those uni's that like to impress with the building (and the fact its right by the O2 arena). There was hardly any computers or macs in site and the facilities weren't all that good either, and to top it all off the lecturer talking to us about the course was that boring that everyone in the room was practically falling asleep. Its also an entirely digital based course.

Westminster at first seemed like the best option, it probably has the best facilities out of all of the universities i've visited, it has a photography building filled everything. I didn't like the location at all, outside the area of the campus it really didn't look like a nice place and i certainly wouldn't of been comfortable walking down those streets, but it is right by a tube station so that may isn't the end of the world. The course seemed fine for me at the beginning and until the interviews i was torn between westminster and UWL. All the interviewers seemed concerned about was making it seem like a course heavily focussed on the contextual side of things and this is not what i wanted and it just felt like they wanted a perfect student to begin with instead of accepting that you might not be strong in certain areas.

Finally UWL, when i visited on the open day i just knew that this was where i wanted to spent my time at university. The course seemed right and whilst the facilites weren't as good as westminsters they were easily good enough. At the interview the woman who interviewed be accepted that i wasn't necessarily the perfect student, since i'm much more strong at practical things and compared to the contextual side of things. The first year is about getting everyone in the class to the same level, they do two different courses, commercial photography and just photography, commercial is said to be the one that is less fine art based. I'm doing just photography which is supposedly a more fine art based course but i can't tell how so far, the course is two parts practical to one part theory and the teachers/ lecturers i've met so far seem nice. I only started last week so its hard to say how good they are since this week is the first week of proper sessions. The location is also good, i like the fact its not right in central london, the uni is in a great place and there plenty of shops and things that i've hardly felt the need to go into central except when i need to take photos.

Hope this helps! Anything else feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
iines
Rep:
?
(Original post by JJ_TW)
I've not long started my first year doing photography at West London (UWL), i also applied for Westminster, LCC & Ravensbourne.

I have visited them all for open days etc. so it was easier for me to make my decision.

When I visited ravensbourne to me it was obviously one of those uni's that like to impress with the building (and the fact its right by the O2 arena). There was hardly any computers or macs in site and the facilities weren't all that good either, and to top it all off the lecturer talking to us about the course was that boring that everyone in the room was practically falling asleep. Its also an entirely digital based course.

Westminster at first seemed like the best option, it probably has the best facilities out of all of the universities i've visited, it has a photography building filled everything. I didn't like the location at all, outside the area of the campus it really didn't look like a nice place and i certainly wouldn't of been comfortable walking down those streets, but it is right by a tube station so that may isn't the end of the world. The course seemed fine for me at the beginning and until the interviews i was torn between westminster and UWL. All the interviewers seemed concerned about was making it seem like a course heavily focussed on the contextual side of things and this is not what i wanted and it just felt like they wanted a perfect student to begin with instead of accepting that you might not be strong in certain areas.

Finally UWL, when i visited on the open day i just knew that this was where i wanted to spent my time at university. The course seemed right and whilst the facilites weren't as good as westminsters they were easily good enough. At the interview the woman who interviewed be accepted that i wasn't necessarily the perfect student, since i'm much more strong at practical things and compared to the contextual side of things. The first year is about getting everyone in the class to the same level, they do two different courses, commercial photography and just photography, commercial is said to be the one that is less fine art based. I'm doing just photography which is supposedly a more fine art based course but i can't tell how so far, the course is two parts practical to one part theory and the teachers/ lecturers i've met so far seem nice. I only started last week so its hard to say how good they are since this week is the first week of proper sessions. The location is also good, i like the fact its not right in central london, the uni is in a great place and there plenty of shops and things that i've hardly felt the need to go into central except when i need to take photos.

Hope this helps! Anything else feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, thank you!!

Yeah, the fact that Ravensbourne's course is all digital put me off a little bit. Also quite skeptical about Westminster's course being called Photographic Arts..

Really starting to like UWL, I feel like the more I read about the course the more I like it. The commercial one seems to be quite perfect for me.

Do you have like a media store thing at UWL where you can loan/rent equipment? Also, I did some research haha and noticed you're staying at Paragon! How is it so far?
JJ_TW
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iines)
Ah, thank you!!

Yeah, the fact that Ravensbourne's course is all digital put me off a little bit. Also quite skeptical about Westminster's course being called Photographic Arts..

Really starting to like UWL, I feel like the more I read about the course the more I like it. The commercial one seems to be quite perfect for me.

Do you have like a media store thing at UWL where you can loan/rent equipment? Also, I did some research haha and noticed you're staying at Paragon! How is it so far?
Yeah, you can loan/rent equipment and theres a website too which lets you do it online and see whats available etc. Yeah i'm staying at paragon, i'm finding it alright. I didn't have the greatest of expectations before i got here but i was pleasantly surprised, the rooms are a decent size, the showers aren't the best but i seem to have gotten the best shower out of my flat. I put up lots of posters and photos which has made it more homely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iines
Rep:
?
(Original post by JJ_TW)
Yeah, you can loan/rent equipment and theres a website too which lets you do it online and see whats available etc. Yeah i'm staying at paragon, i'm finding it alright. I didn't have the greatest of expectations before i got here but i was pleasantly surprised, the rooms are a decent size, the showers aren't the best but i seem to have gotten the best shower out of my flat. I put up lots of posters and photos which has made it more homely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's great! I feel like it would be pointless for me to go to a uni where you can't loan equipment haha. And well I think that's good that Paragon isn't as bad as it could be.

Thank you so much for all the help though! I might ask something later on when you know more about how the course turns out to be if that's ok!
JJ_TW
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iines)
Oh that's great! I feel like it would be pointless for me to go to a uni where you can't loan equipment haha. And well I think that's good that Paragon isn't as bad as it could be.

Thank you so much for all the help though! I might ask something later on when you know more about how the course turns out to be if that's ok!
Yeah that's fine! I'll let you know in a few weeks what it's like etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.43%

Watched Threads