The Student Room Group

Did anyone see The Riot Club at the weekend?

Poll

How would you rate The Riot Club?

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has seen The Riot Club yet and if so, what you thought of it. Please post any reviews in this thread!

A film adaptation of the Laura Wade play Posh, The Riot Club portrays the journey of two first year Oxford students who are determined to join the infamous Riot Club.

The Riot Club is clearly modelled on the real-life Bullingdon Club, whose members included David Cameron and Boris Johnson. Well-renowned for trashing places where they ate and then chucking a cheque at the owner, these 'dining clubs' are still existent within Oxbridge today.

Despite some great moments of acting and well-written dialogue, the characters failed to move beyond class caricature and the portrayals hedged too close to the side of caution to be as vile as I would have liked to have seen. I would agree with Mark Kermode's comment that 'it doesn't have enough bite'.

What do you think?
It's two hours of pretentious ****ers being pretentious ****ers and getting away with it. If I wanted to watch students get drunk and behave like absolute bell-ends, I'd go to Otley Road in Headingley.

Despite that, there is some great acting and it does have a good sense of humour about it at times. The phrase "Chunderstorm" will stay with me for a long time!

3/5.
Reply 2
Excited about seeing it for the cast as much as anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending