Turn on thread page Beta

What do I need to bring to uni 'thread'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys...I know this thread has been done before, I tried to find it and had no luck.
    Plus I'm absolutely knackered and sort of cant be arsed to look.
    Anyone fancy giving me the link to the thread...or if not, you tell me....What do I have to bring with me when moving out for uni?

ReputationRep:
    Mugs.

ReputationRep:
    Take the same to Portsmouth as you did to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t31391.html

http://www.uk-learning.net/t30999.html

ReputationRep:
    Dont buy any new plates and stuff as they will just got lost/broken!

ReputationRep:
    yeh marina havnt you already been to ucl? or is it that your going uncatered this time or sumthing and need advise about kitchen utensils?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Dont buy any new plates and stuff as they will just got lost/broken!
    Or go to somewhere like Woolworths or a cheapie home shop and buy some new ones that are relatively cheap and easy to replace. I have 4 plates, 4 side plates and 4 bowls, that I got as a cheap set from Argos and so far only one bowl has gone missing (and will probably resurface at the end of the year!). What do break are glasses. I had four but they all broke within about 8 weeks of the first term (they were very cheap though, would break if washing up water was too hot). So I bought some slightly more expensive ones of which none have broken.

Stuff I recommend for your bedroom;
    - duvet, pillows and bedsheets etc if they aren't provided

- a small lamp to put by your bed

- lots and lots of photo's and posters to put up and make the room feel a bit more 'you'

- a box of stationary (with everything from staplers to labels in - I got a patterned cardboard box and put all my stationary stuff in it and keep it under my dest - v. useful as it meansI don't have to take up a drawer with it all in). Oh and get lots of folders and stuff, you'll need them at some point (especially if you're a science student).

- some kind of extra storage (you can guarantee no matter what, you will have more stuff than there is room for). I used to shove everything under my bed, but at christmas I bought some metal drawers which I use as a bedside table and put stuff like my jewellery box, makeup etc in, it gets it out of the way and makes the room look quite a bit neater. I'm also going to get one of those shallow boxes on wheels to put under my bed with clothes in (cos all the tshirts I have won't fit in my other drawers along with jumpers, and I don't want to not take jumpers incase the weather is miserable).

- a CD player and TV (it doesn't make you antisocial at all - if anything its useful for when you don't have much to do during the day and everyone else is out at lectures, and I know I certainly couldn't get through a weekend without a TV!). And its nice to have some music on while I'm doing work.

- laundry basket. Again it helps keep your room much tidier as its somewhere to keep all your dirty clothes that isn't the floor!

- a good size suitcase. I have one under my bed and its very useful if I decide to go home for the weekend (which isn't often) as it fits lots of dirty washing in(!) and has wheels so is easy to get round London on the tube.

- coathangers. Self explanatry really, except you will never have enough!

- lava lamp, disco ball, fairy lights etc, great for creating an atmosphere in your room when you just feel like relaxing!

- teddy bear, just so you have a homely feel!

Thats about most of my recommendations, there's quite a lot there! As you can probably tell, my room is very full! I've definately got twice what I came with in September and I'm a bit worried about getting it all home again in June!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Take the same to Portsmouth as you did to UCL.
    Oh clever boy...think you'll find I stayed at home for UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Tin opener, bottle opener and corkscrew will probably make you quite popular early on.

ReputationRep:
    lots of clean pants. Maek sure you have enough to last the term!

ReputationRep:
    I am compiling a mega-list of stuff to take ready for next year entrants. You can find it at http://www.studential.com/wiki/ow.asp?UniChecklist, though it's at a very early stage where I'm just collecting information, but it will be finished sometime over the summer.

Some members may find their contributions are already included. Though if anyone has something to add click the edit this page link and you can add your own contributions, which will eventually be typed up and added to studential. For a description of the way this works visit the Wiki front page. If anyone has any comments on the way this is implimented let me know, it's something i'm thinking of extending.

ReputationRep:
    Don't make my mistake.

When I went to uni, we got all my stuff to Manchester in one journey.

When it came to moving back home again... we had to make THREE trips!!

My parents were not happy... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper)
    Don't make my mistake.

Have a feeling i'm going to have a few problems rather like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Have a feeling i'm going to have a few problems rather like that.
    Hire a lorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Hire a lorry!
    It just occured to me, i've got my own car here and am goin home this weekend so I may take the odd thing home this weekend to make sure everything fits later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    Oh clever boy...think you'll find I stayed at home for UCL.
    Ha, I'm very clever! You should be flattered that I took a big enough interest in you to remember that sort of stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper)
    Don't make my mistake.

Yeah I've got twice the stuff in my room than I originally bought with me! I'm hoping I can get it home in 2 cars - one being my dads estate (that originally fitted everything in plus 3 people sat in it when I came up to uni), and the other being a little fiesta. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, food gets stolen if u put it in the kitchen. Is it recommended to buy a 2nd hand mini fridge/freezer to store in ur room? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    Apparently, food gets stolen if u put it in the kitchen. Is it recommended to buy a 2nd hand mini fridge/freezer to store in ur room? :rolleyes:
    We aren't supposed to have them in our rooms - it's against uni regs. But a few people do. I don't think it's really necessary unless you end up with complete thieving gits for flatmates. We share milk which is the biggest problem in flats that don't. Most people don't mind if you just need to borrow a bit of cheese to put on some pasta, or some butter for toast. It's if whole pieces of chicken or a full block of cheese goes that it would get bad, but this is unlikely. Sheer lack of fridge space is likely to be a greater problem!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what sort of flatmates you have. We have an unwritten rule that nobody goes in anyone elses cupboard, though if you leave any food out it could easily get eaten by one flatmate in particular. There is no problem of food getting eaten in our flat though the freezers are so full it's easy to loose things in there and never find them again.

I think your own fridge is probalby pretty useful, but many unis don't allow heating or refridgeration equipement in rooms. Having said that you could probably easily get away with it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.