How do i pay for university?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
neosyko
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ive sent off my LEA forms and am fairly sure that ill receive just over £3000 for next year. However this wont even be enough to cover my accomodation next year (in London). Can someone please tell me where i can get the rest of the money i'll need - you hear of people with £18000 debts, but where do they get the money? are they simply regular loans from banks or what?

please can someone explain :confused:
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
part time job, overdraft (student account overdraft you can get up to £1500)
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The way the government works out how much students can live of off doesn't work in practice - loans plus the recommended parental contribution is not enough to live off in most places. It helps if you have some savings before you start, or generous parents who can afford to give you extra. But part time and summer jobs plus debt is the reality for most student.
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
I'm at uni in London- firstly, you'll receive a bit more than 3 grand as you are studying in London (we get a bigger loan than everyone else). I know what you mean about the shortfall though, although it doesn't affect me (I'm lucky enough for my parents to pay for most stuff) I know people with it- they do part time jobs, use their overdraft etc. On top of that you might get lucky with sponsorship from your uni or something like that.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Take out a massive loan from the bank, then spend the next three years praying the bank managers an amnesiac.
neosyko
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
yeah im definately going to work whilst at uni, but since the accomodation is £110 per week, the loan wont even cover that for the first year, let alone additional costs
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
Which uni are you going to in London? Some are quite generous with grants/sponsorship so that might be a real possibility.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
don't forget to apply for a payment from the hardship fund
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (178)
46.35%
Take exams next summer (56)
14.58%
Change uni choice through clearing (91)
23.7%
Apply to uni next year instead (41)
10.68%
I'm not applying to university (18)
4.69%

Watched Threads