Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive sent off my LEA forms and am fairly sure that ill receive just over £3000 for next year. However this wont even be enough to cover my accomodation next year (in London). Can someone please tell me where i can get the rest of the money i'll need - you hear of people with £18000 debts, but where do they get the money? are they simply regular loans from banks or what?

please can someone explain :confused:

ReputationRep:
    part time job, overdraft (student account overdraft you can get up to £1500)

ReputationRep:
    The way the government works out how much students can live of off doesn't work in practice - loans plus the recommended parental contribution is not enough to live off in most places. It helps if you have some savings before you start, or generous parents who can afford to give you extra. But part time and summer jobs plus debt is the reality for most student.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni in London- firstly, you'll receive a bit more than 3 grand as you are studying in London (we get a bigger loan than everyone else). I know what you mean about the shortfall though, although it doesn't affect me (I'm lucky enough for my parents to pay for most stuff) I know people with it- they do part time jobs, use their overdraft etc. On top of that you might get lucky with sponsorship from your uni or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Take out a massive loan from the bank, then spend the next three years praying the bank managers an amnesiac.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im definately going to work whilst at uni, but since the accomodation is £110 per week, the loan wont even cover that for the first year, let alone additional costs

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you going to in London? Some are quite generous with grants/sponsorship so that might be a real possibility.

ReputationRep:
    don't forget to apply for a payment from the hardship fund

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.