SteelCookie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anyone know if it's more BSc or BA? I'd prefer a more mathematical degree in the BSc but as it's given as an MA, I don't know.

Can any current students help? It would be appreciated.
colourtheory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SteelCookie)
Anyone know if it's more BSc or BA? I'd prefer a more mathematical degree in the BSc but as it's given as an MA, I don't know.

Is this with regards to a Scottish undergraduate degree? I think it would be best to email the admissions department and carefully look at the course content which should give you a greater insight into the ins and outs of the course. It looks to me as if an MA might be more essay based, IE. Master of Arts as opposed to Master of Science (MSci). Saying that however, the St Andrews website is pretty ambiguous so I would hesitate about making any presumptions. MSci tends to be allocated to degrees in the sciences so an MA might very well be the equivalent of an English BSc.
Frank the Tankk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's just a tradition of the classic Scottish universities to offer undergraduate MAs. They're equivalent to a Bachelor's degree...whether or not it is mathematical enough for you is something you must decide by looking through the course content.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say its more of a BA than a BSc just because Scottish unis do award a BSc for the Sciences like Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Medicine. They award the MA for the humanities.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
I would say its more of a BA than a BSc just because Scottish unis do award a BSc for the Sciences like Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Medicine. They award the MA for the humanities.
And for social sciences they are schizophrenic and seem to offer either MA or BSc in some subjects like Geography.
CeeJayne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SteelCookie)

It's very mathematical - they use Renshaw, Maths for Economics and there are weekly maths seminars.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (56)
13.53%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.57%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.66%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
28.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise