The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Degree Boundary

Hi guys,

Long shot hear but just wondering if anyone has been on a degree classification boundary? I was only a couple of marks off distinction in one module and therefore a first over all. I should be happy with a 2:1 but it's the just being so close yet so far.

Just wondering if anyone else had been in this situation and if anything happened? I had to ask otherwise I'd just wonder instead of just accepting what I got. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You can only get a first with a distinction on at least 60 points of your level 3 courses, so if your distinction was at level 2 then it wouldn't be eligible.

I have been close to the boundary a few times and have been bumped up, some modules do bump you up if you're within a percentage or 2 but others won't. I think it also depends on whether there weren't many distinctions in your cohort and the examiners decide to select those closest to a distinction for an increase. If that isn't done for you, then I don't think there's any way to appeal it.

Check out the OU classification calculator at http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29 for more info. Sorry that you didn't get that first, but a 2.1 from the OU is a fantastic achievement, well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by solipse
You can only get a first with a distinction on at least 60 points of your level 3 courses, so if your distinction was at level 2 then it wouldn't be eligible.

I have been close to the boundary a few times and have been bumped up, some modules do bump you up if you're within a percentage or 2 but others won't. I think it also depends on whether there weren't many distinctions in your cohort and the examiners decide to select those closest to a distinction for an increase. If that isn't done for you, then I don't think there's any way to appeal it.

Check out the OU classification calculator at http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29 for more info. Sorry that you didn't get that first, but a 2.1 from the OU is a fantastic achievement, well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. I checked all that (numerous times throughout the course!) . But was just wondering as I was only a couple marks off getting that second distinction and have heard of some people being bumped up but guess the modules I did where pretty strict in keeping the standard boundaries. I know some other unis have a bit a leeway with the degree classification but guess the OU is rigid as they use grades not actual scores :frown:. I would be happy with the 2:1 it's just annoying being so close especially when I've crammed in more modules than I would have liked without having study breaks as they decided to pull a lot of the modules and degree ends Dec 2014 and I was too far through to transfer to new style degree so felt I could have done better if hadn't taken on as much as I had originally wanted to. Guess I'll have to get over it :smile:
Reply 3
Sorry mate, yeah I think they only calculate it on the module results, there's no overall grade that could be bumped up if you're just under the boundary. I know there are plans for the OU to bring in a US-style GPA system so it's clearer if you've got a low first, high 2.1, mid 2.1 etc, though I know it's no help to you right now. No harm in double checking with the OU if you haven't already accepted your 2.1, you never know.
Reply 4
Original post by solipse
Sorry mate, yeah I think they only calculate it on the module results, there's no overall grade that could be bumped up if you're just under the boundary. I know there are plans for the OU to bring in a US-style GPA system so it's clearer if you've got a low first, high 2.1, mid 2.1 etc, though I know it's no help to you right now. No harm in double checking with the OU if you haven't already accepted your 2.1, you never know.

Haven't accepted it yet but rang up qualifications dept and basically said the same. Just irritating being so close. Would have thought would have had a bit of leeway seen as they've screwed people about recently withdrawing qualifications putting deadlines on modules so having to do more than intended to or modules never wanted because others have gone or have rules with new ones saying not allowed together with ones already completed etc. Especially when I've doubled modules up and ran them back to back to meet their deadlines which isn't what I signed up[ for.
Oh well.
It's over so should be glad made it to the end! :colondollar:
Reply 5
Yeah you made it! It's a good feeling ain't it? I graduated a couple weeks ago and have already started a masters thanks to my OU degree. Be proud of your degree, it's a great achievement, despite those issues with the modules ending early. To have gotten your result while doubling up is even more amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest