Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (For anyone who's interested, I just found this on the Mary's JCR website....it's a list of everything you should take with you to uni.)

Essentials List:

Plenty of money (and a cheque book) – Freshers’ Week can unfortunately be expensive!

The majority of your wardrobe – including sportswear, something smart for Matriculation, various things for themed bar crawls (school outfit, 60’s and 70’s etc).

Ball gowns/ Eveningwear – for the Freshers’ Ball.

Stereo and plenty of CD’s – cheese always goes down well.

Bedside/desk lamp – useful for an all nighter, or for subtler lighting than a 100W bulb.

Alarm clock if you plan to get up for lectures.

Washing tablets/ powder, hand-washing stuff, loads of 20p’s, clothes horse/airer, crockery and cutlery.

Coat hangers as those in the wardrobes are often not sufficient.

Bed linen – sheets, duvet, pillowcases etc (College supply one pillow and either blankets or a duvet).

Bath towels and a bath mat.

Work stuff – paper, pens, pencils, files plus any useful A-level work.

Floppy disks for backing up your work.

List of your mobile phone numbers in case you lose it.

Loadsa Blue Tak and photos and posters to make your room homely.

National Insurance Number

National Health Card and ID (passport/driving license or both)

Tuition fees letter, loan forms and any other important paper that you have been sent.

Febreeze – thousands of uses.

Finally, some sort of alcohol, sweets or biccies always go down well.

USEFUL DEFINITIONS
    Battels are just college bills that are generally issued termly. You have thirty days from the date of the invoice to pay them, but if you’re late in paying you might get a £35 additional fee.

Bops are just like school discos with loads of cheesy music and daft things.

Collections/ progress tests are exams that happen in the first week of the Epiphany term, depending on what your subject is they can count towards your end of year grades. Mainly for Science students.

Com is short for Committee egs Bar, Shop, Social Committees

Dunelm House is the official name of the Student Union, unfortunately, despite being designed by the
    same man who designed Sydney Opera House, it is probably the ugliest building in Durham!

Exec are the group of people who run the JCR. (See pages 4-7 for a list of who’s who on Mary’s Exec and how to contact them.)

Gowns are big black cloth things that must be worn to formals and JCR meetings in college as well as for Matriculation in the first week. Good for Batman impressions.

JCR (Junior Common Room) is the undergraduate population of college.

Kingsgate - Student Union bar and a very unstable looking bridge that connects the Union to the Bailey.

Kingsgate Co. is the new coffee bar in Kingsgate proper, serving the cheapest and freshest coffee in Durham.

Klute is notorious for its tiny dance floor, but great cheesy and classic tunes! It has also been voted the second worst club in Europe! Nevertheless it’s a Durham favourite.

Palatinate is the Student newspaper and the purple Durham is famous for.

Rixies is a club near the bus station. However is continually changing its name. Alternatives include Club Elysium and DH1.

Sammy’s is the newsagents and general store that is located across the road from Dunelm.

ReputationRep:
    'Something smart for Matriculation'
    'Gowns are big black cloth things that must be worn to formals and JCR meetings in college as well as for Matriculation in the first week.'

Thanks very much for that - it was very useful! I mite sound silly here but what is Matriculation?? Also, what kinda gown do i need? I havent got anything like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    It's a ritual. Wear something flame retardant.
    Or the zombie ducks will come and get you!

ReputationRep:
    Things to bring to college:

-Air humidifier
    -Fridge (for beer, food)
    -Bright lamp
    -Answering machine (for parents)
    -Lots of posters to cover the walls
    -Laundry basket

I'll post more when I can think of more.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yes. They will know.

I'd add multi-plug things to the list.
    Very true...I stayed in one of the bedrooms in Mary's for a night over the Easter holidays, and I noticed the room only had one socket, and you definitely need more than that....there's your computer or laptop, your desk lamp, your bedside lamp...and ummm...hairdryers (though I suppose you could just unplug a lamp)...and lots of other things I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Laptop, stereo, lamp, hairdryer, phone charger, battery charger... I figure I need four slots.

The Mildert bedrooms had overbed lights... I left mine on, and could see it glowing away during tea, lol.
    I can't see how I'm going to get half the things I'll need (not to mention the unnecessary ones I just want) over to England....how on earth do you fit a stereo into a suitcase?...I'm gonna have to restrict myself to boring things like clothes *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Course that's a good reason to buy lots of new stuff when I get to England (One should always look on the bright side)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    I can't see how I'm going to get half the things I'll need (not to mention the unnecessary ones I just want) over to England....how on earth do you fit a stereo into a suitcase?...I'm gonna have to restrict myself to boring things like clothes *sigh*
    If you're not a hi-fi buff You could take a laptop and put all your music on it. You'll probably be wanting one anyway and it will mean you don't need a stereo or take cds.

ReputationRep:
    You could always ship some of your things over after you get to Durham, thats what I might have to do, unless I want to bring like 5 huge suitcases! Where are you from? I'm not sure how much it'd cost but if you're from Europe I wouldn't think it'd be that expensive. I'm going to buy things like a stereo when I get there-you're right, such a great excuse to go shopping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetSugar)
    You could always ship some of your things over after you get to Durham, thats what I might have to do, unless I want to bring like 5 huge suitcases! Where are you from? I'm not sure how much it'd cost but if you're from Europe I wouldn't think it'd be that expensive. I'm going to buy things like a stereo when I get there-you're right, such a great excuse to go shopping!
    I'm living in Germany (I'm half Irish, half German) so you're right, I probably could have some stuff shipped over...a shopping spree sounds like much more fun though

ReputationRep:
    wow keep going!! this is so helpful! i wouldnt have remembered half of this stuff

ReputationRep:
    Cd rack
    Laundry basket (or something to carry your clothes to laundry room).
    Lots of underwear to cut down on said washing!
    Bag which is big enough for your weekend home trips.
    Air bed/sleeping bag for visitors?

ReputationRep:
    It'll give you an excuse to leave St. Mary's in search of helpful gentlemen... You'll need a hand with all those bags.
    *broad grin*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guiscard)
    Things to bring to college:

-Air humidifier
    -Fridge (for beer, food)
    -Bright lamp
    -Answering machine (for parents)
    -Lots of posters to cover the walls
    -Laundry basket

I'll post more when I can think of more.
    When I visited Mary's in the Easter holidays, I saw a notice up saying you weren't allowed to have a fridge, except if you need it to keep medicine in....dunno about other colleges though. (Anyway, they have little kitchens if you want to make yourself a snack, so you don't really need a fridge of your own.)
    I'm glad Mary's is fully catered - at least there won't be the hassle of dragging pots and pans over with me.

ReputationRep:
    When I visited Mary's in the Easter holidays, I saw a notice up saying you weren't allowed to have a fridge, except if you need it to keep medicine in....dunno about other colleges though. (Anyway, they have little kitchens if you want to make yourself a snack, so you don't really need a fridge of your own.)
    That's pretty out of order of them; I don't know how I would get along without my fridge.

ReputationRep:
    *bump* up you go little thread!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.