What can I do? Please help with A level choices!

Watch
Salwa_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
GCSE: A*AAAAABBBB

AS: A (French) B (Biology) B (Maths) C (Chemistry)
My mother speaks French and taught it to me at a young age so I guess you could say I'm fluent in it. I understand some uni's don't consider it as a grade if I'm fluent but how would they know?

Atm, I'm keeping all 4 into A2.

My predicted grades therefore are A*AAB.
I want to apply to pharmacy. I have a really good personal statement, a really good reference and I've done a lot to deepen my knowledge into pharmacy.

I want to apply to:
UCL - entry requirements - AAB
KCL - entry requirements - AAB
Bath - entry requirements - AAB
Reading - entry requirements - ABB/AAC
Brighton - entry requirements - ABB

Is it wise to keep all 4 subjects?

I was contemplating whether to drop biology, and therefore have predicted grades as A*AB (French, maths, chemistry respectively) potentially even getting an A* in maths too as my exams were a fluke and I'm a straight A student in maths so it was an expected shock. I'm retaking modules in maths too. Is this a better idea than keeping all 4?

I was borderline B/A in biology and maths.

With my gcse's, as's, predicted grades and a strong reference and personal statement, do I have a high chance in getting at least an interview in all 5 of my pharmacy universities?

Please help, as I'm literally going through a crisis atm haha.
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Salwa_)
GCSE: A*AAAAABBBB

AS: A (French) B (Biology) B (Maths) C (Chemistry)
My mother speaks French and taught it to me at a young age so I guess you could say I'm fluent in it. I understand some uni's don't consider it as a grade if I'm fluent but how would they know?

Atm, I'm keeping all 4 into A2.

My predicted grades therefore are A*AAB.
I want to apply to pharmacy. I have a really good personal statement, a really good reference and I've done a lot to deepen my knowledge into pharmacy.

I want to apply to:
UCL - entry requirements - AAB
KCL - entry requirements - AAB
Bath - entry requirements - AAB
Reading - entry requirements - ABB/AAC
Brighton - entry requirements - ABB

Is it wise to keep all 4 subjects?

I was contemplating whether to drop biology, and therefore have predicted grades as A*AB (French, maths, chemistry respectively) potentially even getting an A* in maths too as my exams were a fluke and I'm a straight A student in maths so it was an expected shock. I'm retaking modules in maths too. Is this a better idea than keeping all 4?

I was borderline B/A in biology and maths.

With my gcse's, as's, predicted grades and a strong reference and personal statement, do I have a high chance in getting at least an interview in all 5 of my pharmacy universities?

Please help, as I'm literally going through a crisis atm haha.
Hi,

1) Well to begin with, I don't really see the point in taking 4A-levels... it'll just be more stress.

2) Why would you drop biology? A large proportion of your course is bio-oriented. For instance, in bath, cellular biology makes a large portion of the first year.

3) I'm not sure whether this applies to you or not but it's worth a read: "

I'm not sure if you apply as a native speaker or not, but I think you could benefit from some more research on this policy (which is apparently popular in many unis)

P.s. How can you tell how good your personal statement is?

Good luck.
Salwa_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yeah I read up about Bath. My dad's originally Moroccan and so he knows how to speak French. He's taught me from a young age so I'm quite good at it and I'd like to complete at Alevel in French as an extra but it's not my first language. I got an A* at gcse, an A at AS and predicted an A* for Alevel so it's not really a struggle for me.

How would a university even know whether someone's native in a language or not just out of curosity?

I decided I'm going to keep all 4 anyway and biology is quite important.

I've given my personal statement to many admissions staff I know of, many of my subject teachers and the head of Year, all of which said it's very strong so I'm just taking their word for it lol.

Thank you for your reply though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads