Chances of Optometry Bsc with a foundation year?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
saskiabw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am in year 12 and becoming an optometrist is a career I'm really interested in.

So I have been researching ways of doing optom at uni without doing 2 sciences at a level and I found that Manchester and Cardiff do a foundation year before the 3 year course - I am wondering if anyone knows the criteria for being made an offer: is it very rare/difficult to be made an offer and does it depend on being really academic?

I am currently doing English Literature, Latin, Biology and Classical Civilastion for a levels. I have just got 7 A*s and 4 As in GCSEs. I have work experience (specsavers and assistant in foreign language summer school) and extra curriculars too (mentoring, CCF, writing for school magazines, sport, ballet, violin etc)

Do you think I would be a decent applicant for the course or if anyone has applied/thinking of applying what were your grades/subjects you offered to them?
saskiabw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zain Amin)
You should do physics since it involved lens etc
I am unable to change my subjects as we are 5 weeks into tern and at my school they recommend to take Maths if you do physics due to the maths content :/
Barbarian King
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saskiabw)
I am unable to change my subjects as we are 5 weeks into tern and at my school they recommend to take Maths if you do physics due to the maths content :/
This might be bad news

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ons/optometry/
STUDYREVISE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You obviously were unable to read it all:
"The entry requirements for optometry courses are quite high but they do differ from course to course and institution to institution. There are some courses with a foundation year which means if you have good grades on non-scientific subjects you may still be able to undertake the course."
(same website/page)
saskiabw
Rep:
?
(Original post by STUDYREVISE)
"The entry requirements for optometry courses are quite high but they do differ from course to course and institution to institution. There are some courses with a foundation year which means if you have good grades on non-scientific subjects you may still be able to undertake the course."
(same website/page)
Literally what I was about to say 😋
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(same website/page)
Oh Lol, I just ctrl + f; Physics, and then found that section.

Thats why I said this MIGHT be bad news.
saskiabw
Rep:
?
Oh Lol, I just ctrl + f; Physics, and then found that section.

Thats why I said this MIGHT be bad news.

Well I already knew about the standard entry requirements which is why my post is solely about foundation years...but thanks for your input anyway haha
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I already knew about the standard entry requirements which is why my post is solely about foundation years...but thanks for your input anyway haha
Btw your GCSE results are friggen awesome, this will be a cakewalk for you.
saskiabw
Rep:
?
Btw your GCSE results are friggen awesome, this will be a cakewalk for you.
Thanks, I hope soso 😉👍👍
2en1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am in year 12 and becoming an optometrist is a career I'm really interested in.

So I have been researching ways of doing optom at uni without doing 2 sciences at a level and I found that Manchester and Cardiff do a foundation year before the 3 year course - I am wondering if anyone knows the criteria for being made an offer: is it very rare/difficult to be made an offer and does it depend on being really academic?

I am currently doing English Literature, Latin, Biology and Classical Civilastion for a levels. I have just got 7 A*s and 4 As in GCSEs. I have work experience (specsavers and assistant in foreign language summer school) and extra curriculars too (mentoring, CCF, writing for school magazines, sport, ballet, violin etc)

Do you think I would be a decent applicant for the course or if anyone has applied/thinking of applying what were your grades/subjects you offered to them?
Can't you persuade your school to let you change your subject by putting forward a strong case- trust me, missing 5 weeks of AS is nothing!
saskiabw
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2en1)
Can't you persuade your school to let you change your subject by putting forward a strong case- trust me, missing 5 weeks of AS is nothing!
Even if they agreed I would have to change two subjects (so I could do maths and physics) and Im unbelievably bad at maths so would probably get a D at a level
2en1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Even if they agreed I would have to change two subjects (so I could do maths and physics) and Im unbelievably bad at maths so would probably get a D at a level
Ah I see, well good luck with the foundation year then
saskiabw
Rep:
?
STUDYREVISE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you know which I=universities will offer you the foundation year?
saskiabw
Rep:
?
Do you know which I=universities will offer you the foundation year?
The only unis offering the course are Manchester and Cardiff but Im unsure I'll get either of them, which is why I posted
STUDYREVISE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only unis offering the course are Manchester and Cardiff but Im unsure I'll get either of them, which is why I posted
Manchester:
This course is appropriate if you have inappropriate entry qualifications, for example, if you have studied arts, languages or social sciences at A ‘Level. We would usually only consider applicants with ABB at A ‘Level or equivalent.
We do not recommend this course for applicants who have been out of study for a significant period; we would suggest that an Access to HE Diploma would be more appropriate.
saskiabw
Rep:
?
Manchester:
This course is appropriate if you have inappropriate entry qualifications, for example, if you have studied arts, languages or social sciences at A ‘Level. We would usually only consider applicants with ABB at A ‘Level or equivalent.
We do not recommend this course for applicants who have been out of study for a significant period; we would suggest that an Access to HE Diploma would be more appropriate.
So provided I get good predictions i have a chance?
STUDYREVISE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So provided I get good predictions i have a chance?
Pretty much. They ask for minimum ABB, but obviously, if you get higher, e.g, AAB, you have the better chance of getting in.
saskiabw
Rep:
?
Pretty much. They ask for minimum ABB, but obviously, if you get higher, e.g, AAB, you have the better chance of getting in.
Thanks 😄
STUDYREVISE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
19.05%

Watched Threads