CIE iGCSE Maths Confusion?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can anyone explain to me what the different numbers represent on CIE iGCSE Maths (0580)? Like some papers have '21' or '22' whereas others have '41' and '42'. But then also, some papers are just labelled Paper 2 and Paper 4? I'm sitting Paper 21 and Paper 41 (extended) in November but don't have a clue what the numbers and different components represent - hence, I'm unsure what papers I should use as revision?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Hello, can anyone explain to me what the different numbers represent on CIE iGCSE Maths (0580)? Like some papers have '21' or '22' whereas others have '41' and '42'. But then also, some papers are just labelled Paper 2 and Paper 4? I'm sitting Paper 21 and Paper 41 (extended) in November but don't have a clue what the numbers and different components represent - hence, I'm unsure what papers I should use as revision?

Thanks
    The second number represents the geographical area in which the exam is set. CIE exams are taken in countries all over the world with different timezones so a single exam could lead to sharing of answers, which is why three different papers are given depending on your location.

The content in papers 1,2 and 3 is taken from exactly the same source - the IGCSE syllabus - so you can practice using papers 1,2 or 3. Any differences you notice will be entirely random.

Papers without a second number are older papers but are equally fine. Just don't go back too far or you'll notice a change in syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    The second number represents the geographical area in which the exam is set. CIE exams are taken in countries all over the world with different timezones so a single exam could lead to sharing of answers, which is why three different papers are given depending on your location.

The content in papers 1,2 and 3 are taken from exactly the same source - the IGCSE syllabus so you can practice using papers 1,2 or 3
    Ah OK thank you. So because I'm doing 21/42, that just means they are the ones that British people do? I've noticed that there're three papers for each of the four 'numbered papers' (Paper 1,2,3,4) so would you agree that revision wise I am fine to do 21,22 and 23s (paper 2's) and 41,42 and 43s (paper 4's) because they are all on the same content but just different papers for different regions? I think I get it now

ReputationRep:
    Ah OK thank you. So because I'm doing 21/42, that just means they are the ones that British people do? I've noticed that there're three papers for each of the four 'numbered papers' (Paper 1,2,3,4) so would you agree that revision wise I am fine to do 21,22 and 23s (paper 2's) and 41,42 and 43s (paper 4's) because they are all on the same content but just different papers for different regions? I think I get it now
    Yes that's right. You can practice on any paper 2 and any paper 4 (pre 2000 papers could be a bit different thought).

If you're wondering, I used to be a CIE Exams Officer which is why I know all this

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's right. You can practice on any paper 2 and any paper 4 (pre 2000 papers could be a bit different thought).

If you're wondering, I used to be a CIE Exams Officer which is why I know all this
    Brilliant, that was going to be my next question Would you advise me against going too far back with past papers? On the CIE website it says that content may have changed slightly over the years but would you be able to give a rough guide as to when (if) the papers changed that drastically?

Ah, brilliant - you're the exact kind of person I was hoping for to see this!!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, that was going to be my next question Would you advise me against going too far back with past papers? On the CIE website it says that content may have changed slightly over the years but would you be able to give a rough guide as to when (if) the papers changed that drastically?

Ah, brilliant - you're the exact kind of person I was hoping for to see this!!
    I would recommend sticking to papers post 2000 initially. If you run out of papers then pre-2000 papers will have similar questions but you may find a question that looks a bit different to what you're used to. I don't have the exact years in the 90s when certain parts of the syllabus changed.

If you're taking the exam in 2015 then shear and stretch transformations aren't part of the syllabus anymore so you can ignore past questions relating to them. I believe that's the only major change to the syllabus that's happened over the last 15 years.

If you ever have any other questions relating to IGCSE maths then feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend sticking to papers post 2000 initially. If you run out of papers then pre-2000 papers will have similar questions but you may find a question that looks a bit different to what you're used to. I don't have the exact years in the 90s when certain parts of the syllabus changed.

If you're taking the exam in 2015 then shear and stretch transformations aren't part of the syllabus anymore so you can ignore past questions relating to them. I believe that's the only major change to the syllabus that's happened over the last 15 years.

If you ever have any other questions relating to IGCSE maths then feel free to PM me.
    Thanks for the heads up. Because of the three different time sone exams, I think I will have more than enough. I might just work my way back from 2013 printing them off and stop at about 50.

I'm actually sitting this years November series, I think my dates are 29th October and 5th November So hopefully everything in the past papers should be relevant?

Again, thanks so much for your info!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the heads up. Because of the three different time sone exams, I think I will have more than enough. I might just work my way back from 2013 printing them off and stop at about 50.

I'm actually sitting this years November series, I think my dates are 29th October and 5th November So hopefully everything in the past papers should be relevant?

Again, thanks so much for your info!!
    Yes it will all be relevant.

If you're planning to do that many papers I'd actually recommend starting with the earlier papers say 2002 then do the 2011/12/13 papers close to the exam.

This is so you get used to the style of the modern exams before you take the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it will all be relevant.

If you're planning to do that many papers I'd actually recommend starting with the earlier papers say 2002 then do the 2011/12/13 papers close to the exam.

This is so you get used to the style of the modern exams before you take the real thing.
    Ok got it. Thanks for all your advice, I'll be sure to pm you any further questions should any arise

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    So would that apply to igcse Spanish (0530) as well? No content change in 11,12 and 13, just timezone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G Raz)
    So would that apply to igcse Spanish (0530) as well? No content change in 11,12 and 13, just timezone?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Thanks a lot for your help

Now i don't have to use past papers from the old spec.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2017
Poll
What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.