ImNormal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been trying to find statistics for Durham Colleges online but can't seem to find any. I'd like to apply for Castle but I don't want to end up at a random college due to being declined from there so I'm wondering how likely it is that I'd get in.

I've checked here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/...ssions2012-13/

and can't seem to find any stats regarding admission statistics for each college.
***OpenSky***
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ImNormal)
I've been trying to find statistics for Durham Colleges online but can't seem to find any. I'd like to apply for Castle but I don't want to end up at a random college due to being declined from there so I'm wondering how likely it is that I'd get in.

I've checked here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/...ssions2012-13/

and can't seem to find any stats regarding admission statistics for each college.

I don't study at Durham and I didn't apply,but I went there on a summer school. All the student helpers said that its hard to get into and out of about thirty of them I think only five or six lived there. I don't know if this is true but apparently they sometimes don't actually put you in the main castle building. You end up in different accommodation but still part of the college
ImNormal
Rep:
?
(Original post by ***OpenSky***)
I don't study at Durham and I didn't apply,but I went there on a summer school. All the student helpers said that its hard to get into and out of about thirty of them I think only five or six lived there. I don't know if this is true but apparently they sometimes don't actually put you in the main castle building. You end up in different accommodation but still part of the college
hmm yeah I heard about that. The acceptance rates do seem a little low, I guess I might reconsider
ImNormal
Rep:
?
On their website they say:

"We have 3 accommodation blocks just outside of the Castle; Bailey Court, Owengate, and Moatside Court. Around 70 of our student members live in our Bailey Court B, C and D blocks; 50 of our student members live on nearby Owengate; and 100 of our student members live in the nearby Moatside Court, P, Q, R and S blocks. All Bailey Court, Owengate and Moatside Court accommodation is within 3 minutes walk of the Castle."

Does anybody have any pictures of the other blocks listed since I currently can't find anything apart from pictures of the castle itself.
***OpenSky***
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hmm yeah I heard about that. The acceptance rates do seem a little low, I guess I might reconsider
im not 100% sure how it works but id still go for it. if I decided to apply I would have chosen castle definitely!
star999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/...ssions2012-13/
You can piece it together from these. 3200 apps for 227 entrants. If you assume 227 entrants means probably as many as 500-750 offers its still a long shot. Key is you dont get a second choice, so its a bit of a gamble.
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is hard to get into, however the system has changed. There are always more applicants than spaces, but now (unlike previously at Durham, and unlike at Oxbridge) your personal statement/ application has NO impact on whether or not you will get a space. Before, college admissions staff would go through applications, selecting students. However this has changed in an effort to make the system more fair and transparent so now students are allocated places using a "best fit" algorithm. Each college is meant to have a certain proportion from each subject and that is how people are allocated now, such that as many people as possible get their first choice. If you don't get your first choice you are put into a pool of colleges with similar characteristics (although if I remember correctly Castle is in its own pool as it's so popular) and from there get allocated to a different college. It is almost impossible to change college once you have been allocated one, as the university do not look kindly on people asking to swap unless it is for specific reasons, most likely health problems that require facilities which you can't get at a certain college (like fridges in bedrooms). So I'd definitely weigh up your options. If there are other colleges you'd be as happy at, go for them.

Anyway, most people arrive and love whichever college they end up at. The majority of people within a few days will have gotten into the swing of the 'college pride' idea and swear that their college is indeed the best college.

With regards to Castle's other accomodation - yes that all is true. Very few first year students get to live in the keep (the actual castle bit) as more often than not returning final year students fill up quite a lot of those rooms, and if they do they will quite often have to share a room. The other bits of the accommodation are ok, I don't have photos but I do know a lot of people arrived and were very disappointed not to be living in the castle. The facilities are fine, I would look into it though as they are quite often old buildings so the facilities are not as modern as some of the other colleges. Whilst living in a castle is very cool, and University College is a great college that offers lots of opportunities, all of the other colleges offer a similar level of experience. You can still visit the castle as a member of a different college and if you have friends there can attend formals there too so you wont necessarily miss out on that much by not getting in to Castle!
***OpenSky***
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
don't let it put you off. I would definitely apply there if I wanted to go to durham
star999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think if you get reallocated it's completely random. Not similar college. Look on allocation thread from June. Lots of applies hatfield got trevs type allocation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jwf13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Castle is the most competitive college- I think after all the departments have made their decisions, there are 6 applicants per place (although I have seen a document that says there are 17 applicants per place, but I don't know if that's including people who picked castle but then get rejected by their department). If you want a historic college, St Cuthbert's and John's are probably the least competitive

Does anybody have any pictures of the other blocks listed since I currently can't find anything apart from pictures of the castle itself.
As for the other buildings of the college,they're typical 80s/90s/00s red brick buildings- this is certainly the worst picture you could possibly take but the 5th photo in this article http://durham.tab.co.uk/2014/05/09/3...-go-to-castle/
Vadajo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Anyone know what size the beds are? Single or double? In moatside - in a standard single room?
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Vadajo)
Anyone know what size the beds are? Single or double? In moatside - in a standard single room?
single
Vadajo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks!!! I thought so, but a picture on their website confused me. buying bedding for the son...want to make sure he has what he needs. Thanks so much!!!
annabelle51
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pianofluteftw)
It is hard to get into, however the system has changed. There are always more applicants than spaces, but now (unlike previously at Durham, and unlike at Oxbridge) your personal statement/ application has NO impact on whether or not you will get a space. Before, college admissions staff would go through applications, selecting students. However this has changed in an effort to make the system more fair and transparent so now students are allocated places using a "best fit" algorithm. Each college is meant to have a certain proportion from each subject and that is how people are allocated now, such that as many people as possible get their first choice. If you don't get your first choice you are put into a pool of colleges with similar characteristics (although if I remember correctly Castle is in its own pool as it's so popular) and from there get allocated to a different college. It is almost impossible to change college once you have been allocated one, as the university do not look kindly on people asking to swap unless it is for specific reasons, most likely health problems that require facilities which you can't get at a certain college (like fridges in bedrooms). So I'd definitely weigh up your options. If there are other colleges you'd be as happy at, go for them.

Anyway, most people arrive and love whichever college they end up at. The majority of people within a few days will have gotten into the swing of the 'college pride' idea and swear that their college is indeed the best college.

With regards to Castle's other accomodation - yes that all is true. Very few first year students get to live in the keep (the actual castle bit) as more often than not returning final year students fill up quite a lot of those rooms, and if they do they will quite often have to share a room. The other bits of the accommodation are ok, I don't have photos but I do know a lot of people arrived and were very disappointed not to be living in the castle. The facilities are fine, I would look into it though as they are quite often old buildings so the facilities are not as modern as some of the other colleges. Whilst living in a castle is very cool, and University College is a great college that offers lots of opportunities, all of the other colleges offer a similar level of experience. You can still visit the castle as a member of a different college and if you have friends there can attend formals there too so you wont necessarily miss out on that much by not getting in to Castle!
Thank you!! This is super helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (435)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed