Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've just started my AS Levels, and am enjoying the majority of them so far. However, I am struggling (to a degree) and really not enjoying the Law course I took. I thought I'd like it as it plays to my strengths, but it turns out I don't enjoy it at all and find it quite hard. Also, the workload is insane and completely disproportionate to the rest of my subjects and leaves me little time to focus on them. Will dropping it make a difference when applying to Uni? If I did drop it, I would continue the three I want to do into A2. I'm not looking to go to Oxbridge or anything, and ideally I'd like to study abroad, probably Japan. I do however do the Welsh Baccalaureate which is equivalent to some amount of points. With mediocre GCSE grades (mainly due to moving in the middle of Y11 and changing exam boards ect.) and only 3 AS Levels, do I still have a good chance of going to Uni?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Of course! Loads of universities will take you with no single AS (as in, you've taken all your AS to A2), and only the most competitive unis with the most competitive courses will look at your GCSEs.

Most schools have the 4th AS in place in the event that you do badly with one of your subjects and still have three courses to take on to Year 13.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try talking to your teachers and ask if you can change subjects if you're struggling with law. You may find that in the end you want to drop another as, but can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecaverly)
    Why don't you try talking to your teachers and ask if you can change subjects if you're struggling with law. You may find that in the end you want to drop another as, but can't.
    I was planning on doing that tomorrow. Cheers for the suggestion though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    Of course! Loads of universities will take you with no single AS (as in, you've taken all your AS to A2), and only the most competitive unis with the most competitive courses will look at your GCSEs.

Most schools have the 4th AS in place in the event that you do badly with one of your subjects and still have three courses to take on to Year 13.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, I was worried it would effect me in the future, but if not that takes a huge pressure off. Cheers!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.