Rachel9866
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was just wondering how long the 10 mark questions need to be at a level. The question is to describe and evaluate the behaviourist approach. I know what to write but I want to write enough, but then not ramble on as well. Any help? Thank you.
aibekhsi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rachel9866)
I was just wondering how long the 10 mark questions need to be at a level. The question is to describe and evaluate the behaviourist approach. I know what to write but I want to write enough, but then not ramble on as well. Any help? Thank you.
What board?
Rachel9866
Rep:
?
(Original post by aibekhsi)
What board?
AQA (B) psychology for as
thealrightgatsby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, so the thing is about this question is that there is a really easy way to break it down that guarantees full marks. A 10 mark answer requires 5 AO1 marks and 5 AO2 marks. Guess what? That's "describe" and "evaluate".

All you need to do is describe the approach in detail. You can do this by breaking it down into 5 "Key assumptions". You might have been taught differently to me, but this is what we learned:
1. Humans are born "blank slates" and apart from a few inate reflexes all behaviour is learned.
2. Behaviour can be learned through CLASSICAL CONDITIONING (and explain this)
3. Behaviour can be learned through OPERANT CONDITIONING
4. The approach uses scientific methods of study such as lab experiments (then give a study - I suggest Watson and Reyner)
5. The approach believes that you can study animals to learn about humans.

Now for the evaluation. Basically all you need to do here is give a strength or a weakness, give an example of it, then explain why this is a strength or a weakness. To think of some ideas, use this mnemonic:

Determinism - does the approach believe in free will or not?
Reductionism - does the approach offer other explainations or just one?
Evidence - what evidence does the approach have?
Applications - has the approach been beneficial to people (it has - phobia treatments)
Methods - why is the way the approach conducts research a strength or a weakness?

That's it. 10 marks. Boom boom boom.
Rachel9866
Rep:
?
(Original post by thealrightgatsby)
Okay, so the thing is about this question is that there is a really easy way to break it down that guarantees full marks. A 10 mark answer requires 5 AO1 marks and 5 AO2 marks. Guess what? That's "describe" and "evaluate".

All you need to do is describe the approach in detail. You can do this by breaking it down into 5 "Key assumptions". You might have been taught differently to me, but this is what we learned:
1. Humans are born "blank slates" and apart from a few inate reflexes all behaviour is learned.
2. Behaviour can be learned through CLASSICAL CONDITIONING (and explain this)
3. Behaviour can be learned through OPERANT CONDITIONING
4. The approach uses scientific methods of study such as lab experiments (then give a study - I suggest Watson and Reyner)
5. The approach believes that you can study animals to learn about humans.

Now for the evaluation. Basically all you need to do here is give a strength or a weakness, give an example of it, then explain why this is a strength or a weakness. To think of some ideas, use this mnemonic:

Determinism - does the approach believe in free will or not?
Reductionism - does the approach offer other explainations or just one?
Evidence - what evidence does the approach have?
Applications - has the approach been beneficial to people (it has - phobia treatments)
Methods - why is the way the approach conducts research a strength or a weakness?

That's it. 10 marks. Boom boom boom.
Omg thank you so much! This helped loads. Think she set it to see how we approach it first without her going through them, just to see how we do. Hopefully I'll do well from the start now! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.22%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
16.91%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (43)
9.09%
Isolating with family (29)
6.13%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.02%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.03%
Loneliness (46)
9.73%
Financial worries (17)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (47)
9.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
7.19%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.15%

Watched Threads