Architecture VS Architectural Engineering

Watch
Tontonhs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically, I'm really confused about the difference. Can someone explain to me what each career is about?
I'm good in maths but not really the artistic type (quite bad at art) though I really like technical drawing. Which one would be better for me?
What about the most sought out from both? Salaries?
Thanks.
ProfAlex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Popular Question (!)
  • Architectural Engineering is the engineering behind buildings: their systems, and the way they interact with people, with their environment, and particularly how they use energy.
  • Architecture degrees are more arts- and studio-based; there is more focus on history and theory, and much more time drawing and modelling spaces.

In contrast, Architectural Engineering focuses on the technology and strategy of building design, using passive and active strategies to save energy and create positive environments for human life.

Careers?

Architecture is a great degree, everyone agrees it's a good qualification, but it's a hard slog, long hours, and only around 30% of those who start an Architecture degree end up doing the full 7 years of education and coming out as a fully-qualified architect!

Architectural Technology is a hybrid degree, so you can go a lot of different directions with it... and it has the kudos of an Engineering degree ( BEng or MEng). As we become more conscious of Climate Change and environmental damage, and simultaneously as our buildings get more complicated and technology get cleverer, this is a growing and current role. At my uni, our AE graduates have near-100% employment 6 months after graduating, many with consulting engineers, some with contractors, some with architects, some with developers.

Final comment-
  • It’s not Architectural Technology. AT courses tend to be very software-based, and focus on how to put together technical details to meet regulations, using computer drawing and modelling. Our AE course has some software use, but we’re more interested in teaching you a wide scope of technical knowledge and theory, and giving you skills to become excellent problem-solvers in a fast-changing environment, so that you can innovate and advise on sustainability and energy use.

Hope that helps!

Alex
Tontonhs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Well this question has been posted around 3 years ago, and I have decided on studying Computer Engineering, but thank you so much for your reply- I highly appreciate it. I'm sure other students with similar confusions will definitely benefit from your reply.
ProfAlex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tontonhs)
Well this question has been posted around 3 years ago, and I have decided on studying Computer Engineering, but thank you so much for your reply- I highly appreciate it. I'm sure other students with similar confusions will definitely benefit from your reply.
I hope so too! Yep- I jumped on your thread 'cos it articulated the confusion so well, despite being a few years old! Thanks for replying- I hope computer engineering is treating you well :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (596)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (730)
41.6%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (350)
19.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.5%

Watched Threads