Adam-alasia98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, iv just started sixth form as level. Im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Religious Studies! I have always had a passion for French, and i deeply regret not taking it at GCSE (chose business studies as i wanted to own a restaurant at the time...) So i learnt today that the French teacher is going to do a level French in the next academic year (didnt used to do it at my school) I know A level French is hard, but what i want to do is drop RS at the end of year 12 and pick up French. So i thought if i start studying french now(a whole year) i should have a round about GCSE knowledge! So what i want to ask is do you think my plan is viable, and i so/not, advise is welcome! Thanks! (Id like to do a biology/zoology degree with a language preferably by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
:bump:

Posted from TSR Mobile
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you have any outside knowledge of French/is it ab initio AS french?
I had to drop AS French after about three weeks because I was struggling so much, and I had a B at GCSE. So personally, I would not recommend it unless you've got a french speaking background or it's an ab initio course.
BCMFM16
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Adam-alasia98)
Hi, iv just started sixth form as level. Im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Religious Studies! I have always had a passion for French, and i deeply regret not taking it at GCSE (chose business studies as i wanted to own a restaurant at the time...) So i learnt today that the French teacher is going to do a level French in the next academic year (didnt used to do it at my school) I know A level French is hard, but what i want to do is drop RS at the end of year 12 and pick up French. So i thought if i start studying french now(a whole year) i should have a round about GCSE knowledge! So what i want to ask is do you think my plan is viable, and i so/not, advise is welcome! Thanks! (Id like to do a biology/zoology degree with a language preferably by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing A level French!! AQA?
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
Do you have any outside knowledge of French/is it ab initio AS french?
I had to drop AS French after about three weeks because I was struggling so much, and I had a B at GCSE. So personally, I would not recommend it unless you've got a french speaking background or it's an ab initio course.
Well i plan on getting a tutor to if i do it make sure my french is decent to an extent.
What is an ab initio course by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCMFM16)
I'm doing A level French!! AQA?
Wjec i think, whats it like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wjec i think, whats it like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's literally a vocal test every lesson which is every day. We are told to write vocab whenever we learn a new word. I have two teachers, one teaches the last unit and the other teaches the first. We have a french exchange next year where we get to stay with a french family before our big speaking assessment after Easter in Montpellier . We also have weekly sessions with a french native speak, in line with our French lessons, to improve our spoken French. But I like AQA the exam seems fair and the writing allows a chance for you to show off your artistic flair for the language which I enjoy.
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
There's literally a vocal test every lesson which is every day. We are told to write vocab whenever we learn a new word. I have two teachers, one teaches the last unit and the other teaches the first. We have a french exchange next year where we get to stay with a french family before our big speaking assessment after Easter in Montpellier . We also have weekly sessions with a french native speak, in line with our French lessons, to improve our spoken French. But I like AQA the exam seems fair and the writing allows a chance for you to show off your artistic flair for the language which I enjoy.
So really its a lot of orals and volcab! Okay thanks, that french sounds intresting! Make sure you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wagwan72
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't do A-level French without doing it for GCSE you will struggle, I got A* at GCSE, highest in the year. I really enjoyed French but the only reason I didn't do for A-level was because it was very difficult and tough to get top marks in.
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wagwan72)
Don't do A-level French without doing it for GCSE you will struggle, I got A* at GCSE, highest in the year. I really enjoyed French but the only reason I didn't do for A-level was because it was very difficult and tough to get top marks in.
Ah okay, im also think about my other subjects too, i dont them to suffer either, such a hard decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Regardless of GCSE, don't do French, it's like a vacumn that consumes all of your time and you STILL get a **** grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
denteddental
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't recommend it without GCSE.
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So really its a lot of orals and volcab! Okay thanks, that french sounds intresting! Make sure you go!
I definitely will!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not that bad so far. I got an A* at GCSE and I'm loving it. I don't mind the hard work since the subject to me is more enjoyment than work.
(Original post by Wagwan72)
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Obiejess)
Regardless of GCSE, don't do French, it's like a vacumn that consumes all of your time and you STILL get a **** grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure its not that bad. At my school the highest lowest someone got at AS was a C.
Obiejess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure its not that bad. At my school the highest lowest someone got at AS was a C.
Highest someone got for us was a C. She was predicted an A. I got a D. Lowest was a U.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Highest someone got for us was a C. She was predicted an A. I got a D. Lowest was a U.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you taking it for A2? I saw the grade boundaries for an A* for AQA in the speaking and it was 104/110!!
Obiejess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you taking it for A2? I saw the grade boundaries for an A* for AQA in the speaking and it was 104/110!!
Ahahahha. No way. Jumped of that sinking ship ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Adam-alasia98
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for the advise! Il ask my teacher and head of year whats vest for me and decide! You've all been very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ahahahha. No way. Jumped of that sinking ship ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I intend to go down with this ship! I'm taking French all the way! ( Not in a rude sense).
Obiejess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I intend to go down with this ship! I'm taking French all the way! ( Not in a rude sense).
I did do it in Y10 tbf, so could have done better had I done it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.49%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (63)
18.69%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.67%

Watched Threads