Not in the Russell Group...? Watch

august1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a student at the University of Sussex. I previously had an offer to study at Oxford but didn't quite make the grades so I took a gap year and applied to Sussex. I had other offers from Russell Group universities but I passed them up as I really liked Sussex when I visited and, at the time, I didn’t give the Russell Group too much thought.

I have loved my time at Sussex so far. I've made great friends and I feel like I am getting a challenging, engaging and rigorous education. I have been taught by some relatively well-known professors, who have chosen to move to Sussex from very prestigious universities. From my personal experience, I honestly couldn’t praise the academics enough.

However, it not being in the Russell Group bothers me more than I anticipated. I am aware that the Russell Group was not intended to be an objective mark of prestige; illustrated by the fact that many top universities (such as York and Durham) have only just joined. Furthermore in the world league tables Sussex is placed above a number of Russell Group universities (This year Times Higher Education rate it above Leeds, Warwick, Southampton, Exeter, Birmingham, Nottingham, Newcastle and Liverpool)

Yet it remains that many members of our generation see not being in the Russell Group as synonymous with bad. I know that if I feel like I am getting a good education at Sussex that is all that should matter but this is really bothering me. I won't consider transferring as other than these thoughts I do really love Sussex but this is affecting my enjoyment of university. Has anyone else felt this about their university and does anyone have any advice on how to get over this?
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are an undergraduate. The status of your university being in the Russell Group or not has almost nil effect on your degree. It only matters for PhD and post-doc. students.

Remember this and you'll see it is a silly thing to worry about.

Besides, some courses have better teaching at non RG universities.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by august1994)

Yet it remains that many members of our generation see not being in the Russell Group as synonymous with bad. I know that if I feel like I am getting a good education at Sussex that is all that should matter but this is really bothering me. I won't consider transferring as other than these thoughts I do really love Sussex but this is affecting my enjoyment of university. Has anyone else felt this about their university and does anyone have any advice on how to get over this?
And by members of our generation...you really mean "members of TSR"...who also believe life isn't worth living if you're not doing a STEM subject, that everyone who doesn't go into IB will end up destitute, and that Nigel Farage will be the greatest PM this country will ever have in 8 months time. There are some real geniuses on here, that's for sure...

So this throws up a more important issue entirely - why do you even give a **** what these clowns say?

You love your university - that's great. A lot of people don't - so be happy and leave it at that. Don't let the neckbeards give you an inferiority complex.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brace yourselves, the Pro RG brigade are incoming.
***OpenSky***
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
im not a russel group but Im really happy with my choice now ive settled in. at the end of the day we cant all go to russel groups
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
RGs are heavily overrated
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in a similar position; I'm at the university of Kent, though I chose to go here. I do find myself looking on here and feeling a bit inferior but it just motivates me even more to increase my employability prospects through work experience and such. There's probably a handful of people at Russell group unis who believe the degree is all they need to get employment which may not necessarily be true.
august1994
Rep:
?
Thanks so much everyone. This has really helped. Yes I did wonder if this was predominantly a TSR thing as most of the teachers/ academics/ parents i've talked to about this have told me that they don't even really know which unis are Russell Group and which aren't and that the grade you get is much more important than the uni you go to i.e. a 1st from Sussex would definitely more valuable than 2:1 from most Russell Group universities. Thanks again.
poohat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by august1994)
Thanks so much everyone. This has really helped. Yes I did wonder if this was predominantly a TSR thing as most of the teachers/ academics/ parents i've talked to about this have told me that they don't even really know which unis are Russell Group and which aren't and that the grade you get is much more important than the uni you go to i.e. a 1st from Sussex would definitely more valuable than 2:1 from most Russell Group universities. Thanks again.
This is broadly correct. There are some very prestigious universities in the RG, but also some that are slightly less prestigious. Its not like any employer is going to think that a degree from Liverpool or Newcastle is worth more than one from Sussex/Lancaster/Bath just because the former two are RG.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My university (St Andrews) is not in the russell group, but is currently ranked (by multiple groups) in the top five, and while it is by no means the best university in the UK it is certainly better than a fair few members of the russell group (though definitely not all)
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The RG is overrated. I've never even heard anyone use the term outside of TSR.
LukeyJB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
The RG is overrated. I've never even heard anyone use the term outside of TSR.
I recently had an interview for legal work experience and the interviewer didn't know what the RG is.
lozasaurus99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
You are an undergraduate. The status of your university being in the Russell Group or not has almost nil effect on your degree. It only matters for PhD and post-doc. students.

Remember this and you'll see it is a silly thing to worry about.

Besides, some courses have better teaching at non RG universities.
Not if you want to do law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jammy4041
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The supposed importance of the Russell Group university is overrated. Experience in the field is more important in terms of jobs. Heck. I wager that many non-RG universities do a better job at getting students into employment than a good number of RG institutions. :cool:

(Original post by Democracy)
And by members of our generation...you really mean "members of TSR"...who also believe life isn't worth living if you're not doing a STEM subject, that everyone who doesn't go into IB will end up destitute, and that Nigel Farage will be the greatest PM this country will ever have in 8 months time. There are some real geniuses on here, that's for sure...

So this throws up a more important issue entirely - why do you even give a **** what these clowns say?

You love your university - that's great. A lot of people don't - so be happy and leave it at that. Don't let the neckbeards give you an inferiority complex.
Attached files
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
I got my offer from Warwick last night and I will be accepting it because the Russel group will enable me do well in History ( research ). Although, if you are doing a more practical course such as engineering it doesn't matter too much
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Universities in the Russell Group are deemed to have at least a certain standard BUT that does not mean that ALL universities that are not part of the Russell Group are below those standards. There are universities NOT within the Russell Group which may even be better than those in the RG. Also, one should not assume that ALL courses within the same university are of the same standards. Standards vary even within the same university. So, it is more than possible that some courses in nonRG universities are better than those in RG universities. RG is just a 'brand' or group representing a certain quality or standard.
august1994
Rep:
?
Thanks again everyone.

My university (St Andrews) is not in the russell group, but is currently ranked (by multiple groups) in the top five, and while it is by no means the best university in the UK it is certainly better than a fair few members of the russell group (though definitely not all)
Just seen St Andrews and Sussex tied at 111st in the world and 12th in the UK in new Times Higher Education tables released today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%