A-Level Maths - Mature Student - Online course recommendations Watch

mralexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi All,

I'm looking to study A-level Maths as my end goal is to study for another degree.. a software engineering degree. Universities require A-level Maths for this degree. I got an A in GCSE Maths 19 years ago.

I have looked around and there are no local colleges that do evening classes for A-Level Mathematics. I have looked at getting a private tutor but it would cost me a small fortune.

Has anyone completed A-level Maths using an online provider? If so, who do you recommend? As much as self-study is an option I'd rather have some input from an expert rather than relying on a few books for the all important exams.

Your advice/recommendations would be most grateful

Mr A
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mralexander)
Hi All,

I'm looking to study A-level Maths as my end goal is to study for another degree.. a software engineering degree. Universities require A-level Maths for this degree. I got an A in GCSE Maths 19 years ago.

I have looked around and there are no local colleges that do evening classes for A-Level Mathematics. I have looked at getting a private tutor but it would cost me a small fortune.

Has anyone completed A-level Maths using an online provider? If so, who do you recommend? As much as self-study is an option I'd rather have some input from an expert rather than relying on a few books for the all important exams.

Your advice/recommendations would be most grateful

Mr A

Sorry that I can't provide the information that you are actually seeking but...

I self taught using "Advanced Maths for AQA" I used C1/C2 C3/C4 S1 M1 and D1. I found them to be really easy to follow with loads of examples and bags of questions for you to try (answers provided). If you get stuck, then as you've already found TSR you have found your excellent private tutors as well as other people in your boat.

It took me 2 years to get to A2 standard but I have bit of a job and a family too. I'm not terribly quick at "getting" things but like to think that I'm thorough. You will learn at your pace but I thought I'd give you my experience.

If you can't find a centre that does evening classes (nor could I) and you can't afford a private tutor (nor could I) then consider the self-teach approach. The books I mentioned are easily available. Just buy C1/C2 and suck it and see.

Good luck
mralexander
Rep:
?
Yes.. the self taught approach looks like the way forward.

Books:

Could you let me know what links on Amazon I should be looking at for c1 & c2.

Grades:

Did you self study approach get you the grades you needed? Was everything in the exams covered in the books you studied from? I don't want to end up studying out of date material and then be faced with questions I can't answer in the exams.

(Original post by maggiehodgson)
Sorry that I can't provide the information that you are actually seeking but...

I self taught using "Advanced Maths for AQA" I used C1/C2 C3/C4 S1 M1 and D1. I found them to be really easy to follow with loads of examples and bags of questions for you to try (answers provided). If you get stuck, then as you've already found TSR you have found your excellent private tutors as well as other people in your boat.

It took me 2 years to get to A2 standard but I have bit of a job and a family too. I'm not terribly quick at "getting" things but like to think that I'm thorough. You will learn at your pace but I thought I'd give you my experience.

If you can't find a centre that does evening classes (nor could I) and you can't afford a private tutor (nor could I) then consider the self-teach approach. The books I mentioned are easily available. Just buy C1/C2 and suck it and see.

Good luck
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes.. the self taught approach looks like the way forward.

Books:

Could you let me know what links on Amazon I should be looking at for c1 & c2.

Grades:

Did you self study approach get you the grades you needed? Was everything in the exams covered in the books you studied from? I don't want to end up studying out of date material and then be faced with questions I can't answer in the exams.

These are the isbns of the AQA books that I used. I purchased them all from Amazon

C1 + C2 9780199149660
D1 9780199149889
S1 9780199149377
M1 9780199149384
C3 + C4 9780199149872

I got A's in C1 (98),C2 (97),C3 (87) ,M1(96) B's in S1(78) and C4(72) and a D (52)in D1. The numbers in brackets are the UMS points awarded. The overall grade was A. I found that module D1 was depressingly boring so it had me annoyed before I even entered the exam room. Most people find it very easy, and it is, but it got my back up

I took 7 modules so that the worst one could be discarded. To get an A* you have to get an average of 90 ums in C3 and C4 plus an overall A. So I was a pretty long way off an A* but I'm happy with what I got. I've only done it for "fun".

How long is it since you last did an exam? To say that it was only for fun I found the exams quite nerve wracking and hope you don't suffer as I did.

You say it's 19 yrs since GCSE. There is a book, but I don't know what it's called I'm afraid, that bridges the gap between GCSE and A level. You might like to find that and give that a whirl to get you back into the swing of things but if your current life means that you are up and running with maths then just start with the C1 + C2 book.

If you want to ask any more questions, please do.

Maggie
mralexander
Rep:
?
Hey Maggie,

Thanks soooooooo much for the detailed information. The last exam I studied for (PRINCE2) was about 2 years ago as I have taken professional exams since leaving university etc.

Will look these books up.

You have now spurned me on to do this now with your very useful information.

Mr A

These are the isbns of the AQA books that I used. I purchased them all from Amazon

C1 + C2 9780199149660
D1 9780199149889
S1 9780199149377
M1 9780199149384
C3 + C4 9780199149872

I got A's in C1 (98),C2 (97),C3 (87) ,M1(96) B's in S1(78) and C4(72) and a D (52)in D1. The numbers in brackets are the UMS points awarded. The overall grade was A. I found that module D1 was depressingly boring so it had me annoyed before I even entered the exam room. Most people find it very easy, and it is, but it got my back up

I took 7 modules so that the worst one could be discarded. To get an A* you have to get an average of 90 ums in C3 and C4 plus an overall A. So I was a pretty long way off an A* but I'm happy with what I got. I've only done it for "fun".

How long is it since you last did an exam? To say that it was only for fun I found the exams quite nerve wracking and hope you don't suffer as I did.

You say it's 19 yrs since GCSE. There is a book, but I don't know what it's called I'm afraid, that bridges the gap between GCSE and A level. You might like to find that and give that a whirl to get you back into the swing of things but if your current life means that you are up and running with maths then just start with the C1 + C2 book.

If you want to ask any more questions, please do.

Maggie
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

C1 + C2 9780199149660
D1 9780199149889
S1 9780199149377
M1 9780199149384
C3 + C4 9780199149872

Maggie
Please excuse the slight hijacking of this thread, but what resource are you using for M2 now Maggie?

(I ask because I notice you've posted some quite challenging AQA M2 problems recently and wondered where they came from!)
mralexander
Rep:
?
Hey Maggie,

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Mat...+for+AQA%3A+C1

Mr A

Hey Maggie,

Thanks soooooooo much for the detailed information. The last exam I studied for (PRINCE2) was about 2 years ago as I have taken professional exams since leaving university etc.

Will look these books up.

You have now spurned me on to do this now with your very useful information.

Mr A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (394)
43.88%
No (92)
10.24%
I'm not old enough (412)
45.88%

Watched Threads