Turn on thread page Beta

Paranoid about annoying my housemates watch

Announcements

Basically I have an audition for this musical theatre showcase that the society's doing tonight so I have to practise. But obviously I wanted to pick a song that showed off my voice (not to say my voice is anything special, but if it's at least good, as I've been told, I need to play to my strengths) so I've went with I'm The Greatest Star from Funny Girl; the problem is it requires me to sing quite loud and though I've said to the ones on my floor (it shouldn't be so bad for those on the bottom floor) that I will be loud and that I'm sorry, I can't help but hold back a bit, even not practising the last big note because it's particularly loud. What do I do here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically I have an audition for this musical theatre showcase that the society's doing tonight so I have to practise. But obviously I wanted to pick a song that showed off my voice (not to say my voice is anything special, but if it's at least good, as I've been told, I need to play to my strengths) so I've went with I'm The Greatest Star from Funny Girl; the problem is it requires me to sing quite loud and though I've said to the ones on my floor (it shouldn't be so bad for those on the bottom floor) that I will be loud and that I'm sorry, I can't help but hold back a bit, even not practising the last big note because it's particularly loud. What do I do here?
    Does your university not have music rooms specifically for things like this? You can probably book one online. However, if it doesn't then you're just going to have to try and get over your fear of annoying your housemates. To be honest, you can't be that much louder than a song played from normal laptop speakers and that happened all the time in my halls. As long as you're not rehearsing in the middle of the night then I really don't think anyone will mind. It's not like you're just listening to music really loudly because you're selfish - you're actually practicing for something and people should understand that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You can control the volume of your voice and sing it a little quieter but if you really feel like belting it out, do your loudest practice in the shower with all the water running and it'll mask a lot of the sound!

(Original post by pinkbullets)
    Does your university not have music rooms specifically for things like this? You can probably book one online. However, if it doesn't then you're just going to have to try and get over your fear of annoying your housemates. To be honest, you can't be that much louder than a song played from normal laptop speakers and that happened all the time in my halls. As long as you're not rehearsing in the middle of the night then I really don't think anyone will mind. It's not like you're just listening to music really loudly because you're selfish - you're actually practicing for something and people should understand that.
    It does; I intend to use them when I've found out exactly how the booking system works. If I get cast in the showcase I'll probably make even more of an effort to find them since I'll have to practise the songs in my own time too.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.