The Student Room Group

Biology or art?

I am completely stuck on whether to take a biological sciences degree or to do a foundation art course. HELP.
I am predicted an A* for art and an A*/A for biology. I already have 4 As at AS and 8A* at GCSE. But the truth is I have a real passion for art. I love drawing and painting. But I also enjoy revising for biology and the moment when everything clicks is great. But I just don't know which one to carry on at Uni and time really is running out for me to decide! Everything is in place for me to do biology like ucas and stuff but art is constantly in the back of my mind. Should I go with my heart? Has anyone been in this situation or can give any advice? It would really really help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could always take the foundation year to see if art is right for you? The tutition should be free if you haven't done a third year of A-levels (I think), and then you can apply during that year and make your decision then.

edit: I'm wrong on the funding part, scroll down and some others may give you better advice
(edited 9 years ago)
Do what you want it's your choice...follow your dreams tbh...do what you're most interested in, and remember:
#NoRegrets
:h:
Completely depends whether you are going to university for a career and if so what kind of career you want to pursue, I strongly recommend you figure out what you want to do before you go to university or you could end up wasting the years of student finance you have only realise it wasn't what you wanted to pursue long term.
Original post by loperdoper
You could always take the foundation year to see if art is right for you? The tutition should be free if you haven't done a third year of A-levels (I think), and then you can apply during that year and make your decision then.

Foundations years are often cheaper (mine was 4 grand tuition instead of 9) but they are very rarely free, I don't think I've found a single free one. So they still take up a year of student finance regardless.
Original post by SophieSmall
Foundations years are often cheaper (mine was 4 grand tuition instead of 9) but they are very rarely free, I don't think I've found a single free one. So they still take up a year of student finance regardless.

Ah, okay, sorry. I'll edit my post
Reply 6
So I could do an art foundation for a year to decide and then do a biology degree after that? Thankyou for the replies. This is really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont do art. You'll be completely stuck with no options after you graduate. I say keep art as a hobby and pursue a real, respectable degree which can lead to jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall

You are mistaking a foundation degree for an art and design foundation course, which is a one year course of further education, as opposed to higher education, and which is indeed free if you are under 19. It carries no entitlement to student finance and does not therefore use up any years of loan which can be spent on a degree. A foundation degree is a different kettle of fish entirely and not what is being discussed by the OP.

OP - do an art foundation course as soon as you leave school if there is any chance you might want to go into art later. It's still free then, whereas you will be charged for fees later and don't get a student loan, as I said above.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You are mistaking a foundation degree for an art and design foundation course, which is a one year course of further education, as opposed to higher education, and which is indeed free if you are under 19. It carries no entitlement to student finance and does not therefore use up any years of loan which can be spent on a degree. A foundation degree is a different kettle of fish entirely and not what is being discussed by the OP.

OP - do an art foundation course as soon as you leave school if there is any chance you might want to go into art later. It's still free then, whereas you will be charged for fees later and don't get a student loan, as I said above.

You're right my bad I misread and thought she said foundation year at university.
Reply 10
Right okay. So if I do take a foundation course for a year and I think there is one very close to me (oxford brookes) then that will give me time to decide whether I do want to do art at uni or a biology degree right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Annna<3
Right okay. So if I do take a foundation course for a year and I think there is one very close to me (oxford brookes) then that will give me time to decide whether I do want to do art at uni or a biology degree right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending