The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Finding it hard to make friends at university

I feel really stupid to be writing this to be honest but I've just started my second year and I'm really struggling to make friends. I have a few friends on my course and I get on well with my housemates but I haven't got anyone I've really clicked with or bonded with, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not but my first year was really rough on me as I was diagnosed with depression and OCD so I can understand why I didn't get on with many people but I've always just thought by now I would be settled into uni life and having fun but right now I'm really not, I was just wondering if anyone else was feeling like this or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Crack the following joke and you'll have friends all over you:

What do you call someone who believes everyone should have an equal amount of food?

An egaleatarian
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
I'm a first year but i'm also feeling this at the moment, an overwhelming percentage of my existing friendship group ended up going to brighton so i'm pretty far away from them. meeting people feels weird and forced and i really wish i could get the hang of it :\
Reply 3
Also finding it hard to make any fixed friendships. Everyone is friendly but they seem sociable and able to make friends quicker. I suggest joining societies. I have joined a couple and it is helping. I recommend the board game society (that you can attend for free on Monday evening, at least for once or a couple times before having to pay). Not everyone knows the game so people communicate the rules, you team up with people, you play with them, make jokes and the game basically has the conversation rolling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending