Turn on thread page Beta

Bolton has a "university" status watch

ReputationRep:
    With all respect as well maybe if you have visited the place you would be more incined to comment. I know a lot of ex student from Bolton and I know the campus quite well.

I have nothing against Bolton as an HE college but it just isn't a university. As for the ex polys well most of them do just concentrate on degree level courses with a few HNDs. Comparing Bolton to an ex poly is just an isnult to places like Nottingham Trent.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, who gives a toss whether it's called a university, a college or a chicken ? It's still the same place doing the same things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Bolton's student profile (2001/02)

Level of Study | FT | PT
    Postgrad Research | 22 | 51
    Postgrad Taught | 462 | 752
    Undergraduate Degree | 2878 | 1404
    UG Sub-degree (HND etc) | 316 | 780

Total | 3678 | 2987

NOT mostly part time (apart from at sub degree and post grad level which is the norm at ALL universities)
    and NOT mostly sub degree

It is mostly made up of mature students (who tend to have high drop out rates due to problems with work/study/life balance...supporting 2 kids while working and studying is very difficult).

And while drop out rates are quite high they're not further from their benchmark for mature students than Birmingham and overall they're better than South Bank and TVU - both of which are already universities.

It's also worth pointing out that Bolton unlike the vast majority of HE colleges/institutions) already has degree awarding powers (ie it awards it's own degrees they aren't awarded by another "proper" uni). The only change that this will have will be in allowing Bolton to carry on awarding degrees and have the title that reflects that power (degree awarding powers is the main criteria/reward for gaining university status).
    *hides in shame*

Sorry Bolton! The computing department is still pants though although this may be due to lack of funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    With all respect as well maybe if you have visited the place you would be more incined to comment. I know a lot of ex student from Bolton and I know the campus quite well.

I have nothing against Bolton as an HE college but it just isn't a university. As for the ex polys well most of them do just concentrate on degree level courses with a few HNDs. Comparing Bolton to an ex poly is just an isnult to places like Nottingham Trent.
    You've visited TVU and Paisley also though haven't you and know lots of ex-students from these universities, thereby allowing you to comment on these unis too right ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Just applying your logic here, you seem to think you know more about it and therefore your comments are more accurate than others because you've visited the place, yet as far as I'm aware you've not visited TVU, but don't mind commenting on that.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.