The GCSE preparation thread Watch

techcloud14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Well Hi guys. I am pretty new to the student room but I have been following the forum for quite some time. I am currently in year 11, and I am predicted A's in every subject, this is what I chose :
English(compulsory)
Maths(compulsory)Edexcel
Double Science AQA
French
Business Studies AQA
History Edexcel
Graphic Design

So you can see I chose A few subjects that are packed with coursework, graphics and business. But my main focus is to complete pretty much everything (syllabus) for Maths and science (as they tend to be the most important) before mocks.

Well my preparation method/ revision method is as follows:
I roughly do 4 topics a day and i stick to the topics till they are finished. Currently I am doing maths,b1,c1,p2 and after I finish any of them I just swap them with another subject. I study from revision guides and after every small unit I will do questions from a text book and I would also do some Sam learning to back up my knowledge. Upon completion of a topic i will focus on doing as many papers as I can until I reach 90%, I stick to percentage rather than grade as grade boundaries vary every year.

So guys what type of preparation methods are you adopting this year? The aim of the thread is to share how you revise, please do not go off topic
STUDYREVISE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Posted on TheStudentRoom
sububzi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing all my exams in year 11
I'm expected 4 A* 5 As and 1 B
My techniques: I like to record me reading out my textbook stuff and notes
I also like to make flashcards for vocabulary learning and translate passages for Latin
Maths I just practise questions
Mainly though my technique is to read out my text book and record it on my phone
Then the past papers begin xD
tryrevise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing all my exams in year 11 too, and am predicted 5A* 7As
I have a big lever arch folder with a file for each unit of each subject in which I put learning checklists, revision notes, mindmaps, past exam questions and past papers .

For science, I like to make a revision sheet of notes on each topic, I find the revision guides and textbooks really helpful to review information and I use the end of topic questions to test myself. I also like to print off every past paper for a unit (eg additional biology) and put it onto flashcards, so I cut out the question and stick it onto one side, and the mark scheme answers stuck on the other side, as this is an easy way to test and review knowledge in the exam format without having to write it all out and it familiarises you with the exact vocabulary and points the examiners are looking for. I also use the online resources on Kerboodle or bitesize to help me. I use similar techniques for other content heavy subjects such as geography

For music, I make a mind map for each area of study and have a revision sheet with all the information for each set work, which I use together with the revision guide and then just focus on past papers.

For languages, I don't really tend to revise much, I go over vocab/tenses etc if needed but it tends to stick in my head quite easily as I don't find the exams very difficult. Except for speakings, I do revise as I do have to memorise my answers and presentation.

For English, I have a file on each text where I put chapter summaries from bitesize, character profiles, list and analysis of the main themes and practice essays on the text, which I review and learn. I feel the most important thing for literature is to practice your essays and have a load of points and an essay structure memorised for anything that could possibly come up. English Language is just knowing your techniques really.

For RS, I just make flashcards on each topic and practice exam questions.

Maths is just about practice. I have the textbook and revision guide which are full of questions and I watch the videos on the CGP maths tutor DVDrom if I don't understand something or to remind myself of the method.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lokolika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is the best way to stay motivated in revision? I want to revise but I just end up getting distracted and barely even finish homework let alone extra revsion. I am predicted 10 A* but I doubt i will get them as every year I just get lazier and lazier but teachers still think im doing well because I can scrape by. Tips????
techcloud14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by lokolika)
What is the best way to stay motivated in revision? I want to revise but I just end up getting distracted and barely even finish homework let alone extra revsion. I am predicted 10 A* but I doubt i will get them as every year I just get lazier and lazier but teachers still think im doing well because I can scrape by. Tips????

Think of it like this,
You make or break your life when you open that envelope in August. You need to revise with manageable work loads, make a revision timetable that isn't overwhelming. Stay consistent and do past papers. And most importantly attend school, read and ask teachers for help if you're stuck. At the end of the day what do you want? Do you want to live a good life, or work your butt of for the rest of your life working in Tesco's earning peanuts? hope this helped you out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads