Is there any point in my applying to do this course????? HELP!!!

Watch
gingerlucy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay, so I want to apply for a Media degree at Bournemouth uni.

The entry UCAS tariff points are: 280 - 300

The PREFERRED subjects are:
English Literature, English Language, Psychology, Sociology, Theatre Studies, Media Studies, Philosophy, Law, Communication, History, History of Art.

I am currently studying Art, English Lit and Religious Studies
I dropped History after doing it for AS

My grades were:
Art: A
English Lit: B
RS: C
History: C

I was predicted a lot higher in RS so am resitting it to hopefully get a B.

My teachers have predicted me AAB, but I think ABB is the most likely outcome at the moment.

Do you think there is any point in my applying to do this course because I only do one of the preferred subjects? I don't really understand why they don't mention RS on the list...

...but if someone applied who had AABB at AS in subjects such as, English Lit, Media, Psychology and Law...surely they would be favoured over me and I would get rejected?

I don't want to apply somewhere where there is a high chance that I will be rejected

What do you think??
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gingerlucy)

English Literature, English Language, Psychology, Sociology, Theatre Studies, Media Studies, Philosophy, Law, Communication, History, History of Art.

My grades were:

My teachers have predicted me AAB, but I think ABB is the most likely outcome at the moment.

Do you think there is any point in my applying to do this course because I only do one of the preferred subjects? I don't really understand why they don't mention RS on the list...

...but if someone applied who had AABB at AS in subjects such as, English Lit, Media, Psychology and Law...surely they would be favoured over me and I would get rejected?

I don't want to apply somewhere where there is a high chance that I will be rejected

What do you think??
It is a waste of time doing media studies - there are no jobs and quite frankly with your predicted grades you could do a much better course at a better university
gingerlucy
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
It is a waste of time doing media studies - there are no jobs and quite frankly with your predicted grades you could do a much better course at a better university
The thing is, I either want to do journalism or PR...maybe go into advertising and eventually become a creative director.

But, I can't see myself doing a degree in English Literature because as much as I love creative writing and reading poetry, I'm not an avid novel reader.

I can't see myself doing an RS degree either because...well, I was a bit disappointed with my AS grade and I'm not passionate enough about it.

I am extremely passionate about art am actually on track for an A*. However, I don't see what careers I could get out of that and think I should keep it as a hobby.

The courses I have thought about applying to are a mixture or media/journalism courses at:

Cardiff (where I want to go)
UWE
Swansea
Leicester or Bournemouth
Bath Spa (just incase)

What other courses are out there that I could qualify for? I'm stuck in a rut if I'm honest. It's getting soo close and everyone seems so sure about what they want to do, apart from me.

Note: I am not applying to uni for the sake of it, it is something I am 100% sure about regardless of how I'm coming across.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The thing is, I either want to do journalism or PR...maybe go into advertising and eventually become a creative director.

But, I can't see myself doing a degree in English Literature because as much as I love creative writing and reading poetry, I'm not an avid novel reader.

I can't see myself doing an RS degree either because...well, I was a bit disappointed with my AS grade and I'm not passionate enough about it.

I am extremely passionate about art am actually on track for an A*. However, I don't see what careers I could get out of that and think I should keep it as a hobby.

The courses I have thought about applying to are a mixture or media/journalism courses at:

UWE
Swansea
Leicester or Bournemouth
Bath Spa (just incase)

What other courses are out there that I could qualify for? I'm stuck in a rut if I'm honest. It's getting soo close and everyone seems so sure about what they want to do, apart from me.

Note: I am not applying to uni for the sake of it, it is something I am 100% sure about regardless of how I'm coming across.
Look - there are no jobs either in advertising or journalism these days.

If you are going to do a form of media do journalism with another subject - makes you more employable and for heavens sake pick a better uni - you have the grades

- look at Leeds, Cardiff, Newcastle, Sussex, Sheffield.
gingerlucy
Rep:
?
Look - there are no jobs either in advertising or journalism these days.

If you are going to do a form of media do journalism with another subject - makes you more employable and for heavens sake pick a better uni - you have the grades

- look at Leeds, Cardiff, Newcastle, Sussex, Sheffield.
I am not able to go to any of those universities, other than Cardiff, as I have no way of getting to them, my parents aren't confident drivers and the trains are far too expensive.

I most probably won't get higher than ABB (maybe A* In art), and the best unis usually ask for AAB and I'm worried that they won't be willing to take me on if I do come out with ABB.

I am having a meltdown
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am not able to go to any of those universities, other than Cardiff, as I have no way of getting to them, my parents aren't confident drivers and the trains are far too expensive.

I most probably won't get higher than ABB (maybe A* In art), and the best unis usually ask for AAB and I'm worried that they won't be willing to take me on if I do come out with ABB.

I am having a meltdown
Listen - applications are more than just A level results - your statement and work experience are important too. If you go to a lesser uni you will be wasting your money and as for travel - get the bus - national express runs all over the country.

A dual subject degree will give you more chances at a better job and a better university will help too - otherwise you may as well set fire to £27000.
gingerlucy
Rep:
?
Listen - applications are more than just A level results - your statement and work experience are important too. If you go to a lesser uni you will be wasting your money and as for travel - get the bus - national express runs all over the country.

A dual subject degree will give you more chances at a better job and a better university will help too - otherwise you may as well set fire to £27000.

Yes, but from what I've been taught, a uni might make you an offer based on your personal statement etc. However, if you don't get the grades they're after, they'll reject you when your results come through
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, but from what I've been taught, a uni might make you an offer based on your personal statement etc. However, if you don't get the grades they're after, they'll reject you when your results come through
Sheffield ABB

Sussex ABB

Newcastle ABB

Cardiiff AAB

Get some fire in your belly - you are on target for these grades
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not true that there's no jobs in journalism, though it is true that a media degree isn't the best way to access them. An arts subject degree followed by a postgrad such as an NCTJ is most likely the best way to go. Journalism degrees aren't very respected either.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
It's not true that there's no jobs in journalism, though it is true that a media degree isn't the best way to access them. An arts subject degree followed by a postgrad such as an NCTJ is most likely the best way to go. Journalism degrees aren't very respected either.
Not sure what you're talking about, the postgrad journalism degree at Cardiff is one of the best programmes out there and very well respected.

And Cardiff University is one of the best universities in the UK for media professionals:

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/ranking...ngs-flt-ctg-dd

and this is based on undergraduate degrees as you can see.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by c2uk)
Not sure what you're talking about, the postgrad journalism degree at Cardiff is one of the best programmes out there and very well respected.

And Cardiff University is one of the best universities in the UK for media professionals:

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/ranking...ngs-flt-ctg-dd

and this is based on undergraduate degrees as you can see.
that's one university. i meant in general. i'm aware that cardiff and i think sheffield have good courses. however, doing an arts degree as opposed to just a journalism degree is still the best way to go, in my opinion.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
that's one university. i meant in general. i'm aware that cardiff and i think sheffield have good courses. however, doing an arts degree as opposed to just a journalism degree is still the best way to go, in my opinion.
There's also City, probably on an equal par with Cardiff, and Sheffiled slightly below the two.

Cardiff just revamped their undergrad programmes. They've had a broad journalism, media and cultural studies (or something like this) like forever, now they've finally created some more vocationally orientated programmes at undergrad level.

Thing is, in my opinion, do what you enjoy at undergrad. You also should be a little bit ambitious, thus to the OP, go for Cardiff, they may make you an offer and might even take you if you get slightly less than that (personal statement is important, showing your interest, and mentioning anything else that may give you tariff points).

If you do well and use the opportunities available to you (societies, study/work abroad, placements) then you can make a career of it. Or look then into a postgrad programme that could help you get there.
Yellow 03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP, if I were you I would not worry about abstract statements as to whether or not there are jobs in media/journalism. Things change rapidly in many industries and if you are passionate, persistent and very good at it, you will get a job eventually.

I think the real issue is that, paradoxically, media studies may not be the best way to get you a job in the media industry, simply because as a study route it is relatively new and not established enough. Probably not robust enough either.

If I were you I would do some research into the background of some of the people you admire in that field. Try to find out what they studied that got them their jobs and the skills to grow into those jobs. This may give you an idea of what type of study might be best for you and your ambitions.
TV man
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is absolutely nothing "abstract" in saying there are no jobs in media/journalism. squeakysquirrel is absolutely right, do not undersell yourself. With the grades you are predicted you should be aiming much higher than doing a media course at a lesser institution. Media/journalism is a very competitive field and it is simply not the case that passion and persistence will necessarily be enough - huge doses of luck also help and you may just not get lucky.
selizy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't know if this helps, but I'm looking to hopefully do PR, so I'm applying to Lincoln, Bournemouth and Birmingham City for that (which only need around BBC-BBB) but as I'm predicted AAA I'm most likely applying for Media and Comms at Loughborough and Sussex too (AAB). PR is similar to journalism/marketing/advertising, and so I thought media would be a good one to apply to with higher entry grades, seeing as PR is offered at very few unis. But personally, I'll probably go for one of the PR courses at a 'lesser' uni because it's what I want to do and they have good placements too.
AliBonce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

My grades were:

What do you think??
Hi Lucy,

I don't know if this will help your decision, but I thought I could share with you some of my experience of studying Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth University 2007-2010.

I know it is one of the best in the country (the only Journalism course to be approved by NCTJ), and the facilities there were fantastic. When I started they had just spent millions on a new studio suite, and there are tons of imacs and video cameras for students.

Also the staff were all working journalists, so they had their fingers on the pulse. We were taught all about recent world history and politics, shorthand, TV, radio, newspaper journalism, and I think they now teach about online journalism too. I loved it at Bournemouth Uni so much that I've just returned to do an MA, after working as an editor for 4 years.

I think you should apply for what you're really passionate about. If you get in, then you'll have a brilliant 3 years wherever you choose to go. It's much better to do that than to settle for a compromise and resent all the time and money you'll have spent. Go for it!

Alice
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't do it.
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

UWE
Swansea
Leicester or Bournemouth
Bath Spa (just incase)

Don't listen to course snobs like Squeaky Squirrel. There are jobs in the media industry, it's just very competitive. I'd advise you to get any experience you can in addition to your uni work, and you'll be in good standing for entering the industry when you graduate.

For instance, I'm in the 3rd year of Media Production at Northampton uni, and am involved in a tv-channel the uni is setting up, I film the occasional wedding video and corporate videos, and am preparing to shoot a feature-length documentary next year, all in addition to the modules.

So yes, it's a lot of work, but with passion, talent and a little bit of luck, I'm sure you'll do great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (267)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.79%

Watched Threads