The Student Room Group

Difficult decision

Hi. I'm currently on some time out from my Midwifery degree for health reasons. Completed 6 months and aimed to return in Jan to pick up where I left off with year below.

Trouble is, during my time out I've questioned whether I'm ready to continue. Still want to do the degree - at least at some point, but wondered whether I myself need a few more years to further mature and have a little life experience before I return. Combined with that I lived over an hour away from my placement so long days because incredibly draining and I struggled.

Just worried as difficult degree to get onto and don't want to ruin my chance at being a Midwife if this is the only chance I'll get. A-Levels I got weren't the best so felt slightly lucky to get onto course in first place but know it's a course that required determination and 100% commitment so if I'm not ready it's probably best to wait.

Ah!
Original post by Blind
Hi. I'm currently on some time out from my Midwifery degree for health reasons. Completed 6 months and aimed to return in Jan to pick up where I left off with year below.

Trouble is, during my time out I've questioned whether I'm ready to continue. Still want to do the degree - at least at some point, but wondered whether I myself need a few more years to further mature and have a little life experience before I return. Combined with that I lived over an hour away from my placement so long days because incredibly draining and I struggled.

Just worried as difficult degree to get onto and don't want to ruin my chance at being a Midwife if this is the only chance I'll get. A-Levels I got weren't the best so felt slightly lucky to get onto course in first place but know it's a course that required determination and 100% commitment so if I'm not ready it's probably best to wait.

Ah!

From what I can remember the NMC expect you to have completed all aspects of your course within five years, so taking further time off could become an issue. IN the end, it's completely up to you, midwifery is a difficult course to get onto, but you've managed to get a place once, so there's always the chance you may be able to again. Reflection and self awareness is an important part of being a competent practitioner, if you feel you lack the life experience currently for the role and wish to address this then it can be seen as a positive.

However, you were given a place on this course because the people who read your PS and interviewed you thought you have the ability to complete the course, if they didn't think you had the ability you wouldn't have got a place on the course. have you had a chat with your personal tutor about these worries? They would be a good place to start. Peer counselling is also an awesome thing, have a chat with some friends in your group in uni, you may find they have been having the same feelings. Would moving nearer to where you do placements be an option? It may cost but loads of people manage to do it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Your health is more important at the end of the day! If you're not ready then don't push yourself too far, and you will get chance to do it again (I've heard of plenty of people in the same situation who have started again after a break)
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
From what I can remember the NMC expect you to have completed all aspects of your course within five years, so taking further time off could become an issue. IN the end, it's completely up to you, midwifery is a difficult course to get onto, but you've managed to get a place once, so there's always the chance you may be able to again. Reflection and self awareness is an important part of being a competent practitioner, if you feel you lack the life experience currently for the role and wish to address this then it can be seen as a positive.

However, you were given a place on this course because the people who read your PS and interviewed you thought you have the ability to complete the course, if they didn't think you had the ability you wouldn't have got a place on the course. have you had a chat with your personal tutor about these worries? They would be a good place to start. Peer counselling is also an awesome thing, have a chat with some friends in your group in uni, you may find they have been having the same feelings. Would moving nearer to where you do placements be an option? It may cost but loads of people manage to do it :smile:

It is such a hard decision. I know I will have to reapply and start over, I won't be able to complete it within the 5 years. I am going to speak to my tutor but my gut is telling me I just want a little more life experience before I commit to the degree. It's just whether to risk potentially not getting accepted into the same/ another uni at a later date. 100% I will have to apply closer or move if I do return, I was a walking zombie!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending