Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whichever one you go to, you will be treated like a celebrity. The Chinese and Japanese love people who can speak perfect English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Whichever one you go to, you will be treated like a celebrity. The Chinese and Japanese love people who can speak perfect English.
    and where did you hear that from??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    Collingwood College, Durham, Law degree. Which uni in Japan will they be going to?
    Will this be the last year of your course there? I ask, as they're shutting down their Japanese/Chinese dep. in the next year or so are they not? As well as having closed their linguistics department now as well (for this year's applicants).

Appologies for going off-topic. My personal choice would be completely irrelevent to your own reasoning, so I wont offer any advice on that score. Have you heard from any of the students who have made the trips previously?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everybody for your advice, it's been quite useful. Anyway the email has been sent and i've chosen Sibo in Shandong, China. It will be a challenge but i think thats really what i'm looking for.

I hope i don't regret turning down a year in Tokyo, i know i probably won't get the chance to spend a decent amount of time in Japan ever again as it's so expensive.

(Original post by Egan1)
    Will this be the last year of your course there? I ask, as they're shutting down their Japanese/Chinese dep. in the next year or so are they not? As well as having closed their linguistics department now as well (for this year's applicants).

Appologies for going off-topic. My personal choice would be completely irrelevent to your own reasoning, so I wont offer any advice on that score. Have you heard from any of the students who have made the trips previously?
    sorry i'm not reading languages at durham i'm reading law

ReputationRep:
    You will enjoy it immensely i expect, China is such a fascinating country as are so many in Asia. I am hopefully going to Hong Kong for my GAP year to do a similar thing, teaching English at a school there. Wanted to go to Hong Kong as it is such a diverse city if not i probably would have gone to China.

Good luck with it all!!

ReputationRep:
    After you have come back, you could always go to Japan to see what's different between it and China. Then maybe you could explain to the naive what's the difference between China and Japan!

It really annoys me when people say they are the same though. It's like saying England and France are the same.

Oh yea, I probably forgot if you told me but will they help you pay for your expenses? How much will you need yourself?

ReputationRep:
    After you have come back, you could always go to Japan to see what's different between it and China. Then maybe you could explain to the naive what's the difference between China and Japan!

It really annoys me when people say they are the same though. It's like saying England and France are the same.
    Different languages for a start, though both of them are very hard to pick up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    Different languages for a start, though both of them are very hard to pick up.
    Yea, that's the thing most people don't understand. Just because they both sound 'weird' to them, they think they are both the same language. I think it's because there's a great difference between Western and Eastern Languages. I find it easy to distinguish between Mandarin, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese, probably because I already speak Cantonese. It's much easier for us to learn the other langauges than most people from the West.

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt that China is a magnificent country, but I have also felt that way about Japan. I would choose China over Japan simply because I think it is more breath-taking and awe-inspiring. I have a GAP interview on thursday, and I want to teach English in China. There is no option to teach English in Japan, but if there had been, I may have had difficulty in deciding which to choose. At the moment, I Love everything about China, it just looks so fantastically diverse. I know that Japan is too, but having not researched Japan whatsoever, I know nothing of it's history etc.

I would not like to have to choose between the two countries, but luckily for me, I don't have to worry about that!

Good luck in China, maybe we will be close to each other! (I am assuming there are spaces left to go to China!) It should most definately be an experience you will never forget!

All I have left to say is: fu! (i believe that means Good luck...I am probably wrong though!)

ReputationRep:
    you must go to japan, it is the most amazing country in the world, and you will get to watch anime first hand, albeit in japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    you must go to japan, it is the most amazing country in the world, and you will get to watch anime first hand, albeit in japanese.
    Yea, TV Tokyo is THE best channel ever! Too bad we can't pick it up with our satellites here....

ReputationRep:
    Yea, that's the thing most people don't understand. Just because they both sound 'weird' to them, they think they are both the same language. I think it's because there's a great difference between Western and Eastern Languages. I find it easy to distinguish between Mandarin, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese, probably because I already speak Cantonese. It's much easier for us to learn the other langauges than most people from the West.
    Spent about a year learning Japanese which was quite a challenge, very frustrating when you've just learnt an alphabet there's always another one!! Will try and learn Cantonese a but before i leave if not 9 months should be enough to get a grasp of the language, even though it's probably harder than Japanese. The bit i am struggling with at the moment is the pronunciation of the words, madness.

ReputationRep:
    may i introduce you to a book i am about to read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...556886-9004642

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong, abit of both : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    thats not a good thing you stupid geek

and if you think an american wannabe country is the best in the world then i pity you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    thats not a good thing you stupid geek

and if you think an american wannabe country is the best in the world then i pity you
    I have to say that Japan is a neat and beautiful country
    but nothing to do with anime : /

ReputationRep:
    ok i got a phone call from my gap year organisation today and they said i am one of the privilidged 4 people who got selected to goto Japan. However i can still goto China if i want.

They've given me until tomorrow morning to choose

Japan would be amazing because i would be right in the middle of tokyo. I'd be teaching private school kids and they said the work would be easy. Life would be very comfortable and i'd get to learn about Japanese culture which i am interested in.

On the other hand if i goto China i will go to somewhere poor and the conditions will be hard. It will be a departure from my middle class lifestyle and will probably change me as a person. I will get to relearn mandarin, a language i used to speak when i was younger as my mum is from Taiwan.

I think i'm going to go with China, although Japan is reallly tempting.

I'm not expecting anyone to make a decision for me but does anyone have any advice, or any points which i haven't thought of? Thanks
    china seems like a once-in-a-lifetime experience to me and you should totally go for it if thats what you feel is best.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everybody for your advice, it's been quite useful. Anyway the email has been sent and i've chosen Sibo in Shandong, China. It will be a challenge but i think thats really what i'm looking for.

I hope i don't regret turning down a year in Tokyo, i know i probably won't get the chance to spend a decent amount of time in Japan ever again as it's so expensive.

sorry i'm not reading languages at durham i'm reading law

SIBO is a important industry town in SHANDONG also in CHINA... if you come here ,ppl will tell you the best city in SHANDONG is TSING TAO ...it is nears the sea...i live in TSING TAO it's my hometown... now i am studying in JI NAN( JI NAN also in SHANDONG ,it is the capital city of SHANDONG...but not good as TSING TAO) usually i go home once a month ...someday i see a foreigner,maybe that would be you,haha... hope you traveling to TSING TAO...from SIBO to TSING TAO it will takes 3-4hours by train or car...from SIBO to JI NAN it will takes 1-2 hours by train or car... if you want go quickly . you should take a good car...and then you can
    drive it 180km per hours on the high way... from JI NAN to TSING TAO just costs u 2 hours... here is the general line between these city...
    WAI FANG is a city famous by its kites

time costs : 2 hours ------ 1 hours----1 hours
    TSING TAO ------ WAI FANG --- SIBO --- JI NAN

sorry for my ****ing bad english,i try my best to explain it ...hope u and other guys understand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myfeifei)
    SIBO is a important industry town in SHANDONG also in CHINA... if you come here ,ppl will tell you the best city in SHANDONG is TSING TAO ...it is nears the sea...i live in TSING TAO it's my hometown... now i am studying in JI NAN( JI NAN also in SHANDONG ,it is the capital city of SHANDONG...but not good as TSING TAO) usually i go home once a month ...someday i see a foreigner,maybe that would be you,haha... hope you traveling to TSING TAO...from SIBO to TSING TAO it will takes 3-4hours by train or car...from SIBO to JI NAN it will takes 1-2 hours by train or car... if you want go quickly . you should take a good car...and then you can
    drive it 180km per hours on the high way... from JI NAN to TSING TAO just costs u 2 hours... here is the general line between these city...
    WAI FANG is a city famous by its kites

time costs : 2 hours ------ 1 hours----1 hours
    TSING TAO ------ WAI FANG --- SIBO --- JI NAN

sorry for my ****ing bad english,i try my best to explain it ...hope u and other guys understand...
    i understood it, i'm a chinese speakder =P
    but unfortunately my geo knowledge doesn't tat know for me knowing where is SIBO :P
    no idea about where it is

ReputationRep:
    just replied who have made his choice already,
    it's good to see you pick up a great challege. living in a condition as you put down is always frustrating. i understood it becoz i know how bad they are. but it would be ok if you could try to keep urself, ur room clean. Try not to get sicknesses (including home sick ) since not much doctors down there understand english
    hope you can relearn madarin very quickly and have a good year there

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.