Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well if people in the north have a better life style than the south, its because its so cheap a 3 bedroom house is about £110-£180 or something stupid like that. Me and my family are moving soon to a place called mill hill and my mum and dad are buying a brand new house for £330,000, so theres a bit of a diiference, but then you get much lower pay up north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smokey636)
    well if people in the north have a better life style than the south, its because its so cheap a 3 bedroom house is about £110-£180 or something stupid like that. Me and my family are moving soon to a place called mill hill and my mum and dad are buying a brand new house for £330,000, so theres a bit of a diiference, but then you get much lower pay up north.
    Erm excuse me? My aunties 5 bedroom house is worth £600k, my other aunties 4 bed bungelow is worth £400k. Our 3 bed terrace is worth £180k. Not quite £180. This is all in South Manchester.

Just in case you don't know what K means its 1 thousend, so £400k=£400,000.

As for lower pay? Erm you may get higher wages in London but thats it. At least in Manchester the wages are very good.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'd move back home to liverpool in a second if I had no tis down here (much as I love soton). My £20k ish wages would be plenty to buy me a nice terrace back home whereas here it was a real struggle to pay the mortgage etc (and it's due to go up in sept when the interest only phase finishes). And there are plenty of my sort of jobs up there (what with l'pool, john moores, edge hill and hope, UCLan up the road in preston and all of the manchester uni's in commutable distance).

In my experience the housing market up north is cheap when it comes to areas with masses of terraces but detached/bungalows are the same (if not more expensive) than down here due to their rarity.

I was looking in the property pages for north liverpool last month when I went home and the terraces averaged at about £100k for nice sized (3/4 bed) in nice areas (with some as low as £46k for little 3 beds in not so nice areas). My grandma has just sold her house (3 double beds + 3 receptions in a fairly posh area) for £180k.

ReputationRep:
    The South for me! It's grim oop norf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    The South for me! It's grim oop norf
    have you ever been 'up north'?

I look out my window and see loads of green trees and nice houses, harldy grim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    have you ever been 'up north'?

I look out my window and see loads of green trees and nice houses, harldy grim.
    Agreed. Most of the south is flat too which for me is a bit boring. Hills and moors are cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Agreed. Most of the south is flat too which for me is a bit boring. Hills and moors are cool
    Lol well there is certainly no hills near me although I have the mersey valley which is very pretty. Its a little bit hilly but no more so than most of the country.

ReputationRep:
    Lol well there is certainly no hills near me although I have the mersey valley which is very pretty. Its a little bit hilly but no more so than most of the country.
    i say the north any day...
    i used to live in a little town called great ayton in yorkshire...near middlesbrough...that was really lovely.....

ReputationRep:
    its nice and hilly in the southwest...

ReputationRep:
    yeh ur aunties got a 5 bedroom house, any house in england with 5 bedrooms would be about that price, im talking about a normal house, not a bloody mantion, a normal house in manchester will cost about £150k thats nothing compared to london prices

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Southern girl, so i'll say South. I've grown up in a fairly large town with plenty to do and I think its one of the best places I could have grown up in. I also love being 25 mins on a train away from London, as well as being so close to Oxfordshire and Hampshire, both of which are really nice places.

I also find it amazing how many people will say other cities are nasty, having never visited them. You can't say anything about a place until you've been there a few times, not just one visit to one area and then form an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    smokey define a normal house...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smokey636)
    yeh ur aunties got a 5 bedroom house, any house in england with 5 bedrooms would be about that price, im talking about a normal house, not a bloody mantion, a normal house in manchester will cost about £150k thats nothing compared to london prices
    What about this 2 bedroom flat in a suburb of Manchester for £240,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/templa...a_n=8&tr_t=buy

is is not even in the poshest part of Manchester.

This is a 5 bedroom house in the same area next door to a bail hostel so it has a major NIMBY effect. They are asking £430,000 for it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/templa...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

or this nice 3 bed house for £430,000

This possibly the most expensive house in Manchester at £1.1 million

In the poorest parts of Manchester you can buy houses for around £40,000.

ReputationRep:
    What about this 2 bedroom flat in a suburb of Manchester for £240,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/templa...a_n=8&tr_t=buy

is is not even in the poshest part of Manchester.

This is a 5 bedroom house in the same area next door to a bail hostel so it has a major NIMBY effect. They are asking £430,000 for it.

or this nice 3 bed house for £430,000

This possibly the most expensive house in Manchester at £1.1 million

Trade, there are more expensive houses than that 1.1 mill one. The country estates can be worth 4-5 mill around that area you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Trade, there are more expensive houses than that 1.1 mill one. The country estates can be worth 4-5 mill around that area you mentioned.
    Yeah but aren't they more in Chehsire, I never really count Cheshire has being north but I guess it is. £1.1 million is not bad for an area 2 miles away from Fallowfield though.

ReputationRep:
    In poorer areas in the South (and I'm using an area of Reading that is one of the most impoverished areas in the country as the basis for this) you still cannot buy a house for less than £100K. Yes there may be expensive area's in Manchester, and 5 bedroom houses may cost in excess of £400K but those properties in the south are much more common (the reason they are expensive in Manchester is because there are less of these size properties available). If I look in the property section of the local paper there are always lots of houses on the market for above £750,000, not just a few, and most of them only 5/6 bedroom detached houses, not quite mansions.

ReputationRep:
    I know the south is generaly more expensive but its just generalisation. I am sure there are parts of the south where you can buy houses less than £100k.

It just annoys me when people make stupid comments like you can buy houses for £180 up north when in reality if you don't want drug dealers knocking on your door every day you have to spend around £100k.

ReputationRep:
    I know the south is generaly more expensive but its just generalisation. I am sure there are parts of the south where you can buy houses less than £100k.

It just annoys me when people make stupid comments like you can buy houses for £180 up north when in reality if you don't want drug dealers knocking on your door every day you have to spend around £100k.
    You can't buy a house for £100k. Maybe a one bedroom flat, but no house.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Not here in Southampton or Bournemouth.

We bought our house 3 yrs ago for £96,500 - and that had an asking price of £115,000 and is on the edge of a council estate (a rough one - the council houses are still council owned). We only beat them down because it had been on the market for nearly a year (it had no kitchen so noone but us would buy it - but because we were planning on refitting the kitchen in whatever house we got anyway it was actually a bonus) and they were desperate to sell it to pay off their debts/divorce.

ReputationRep:
    well I live in the midlands and my friend is about to buy a 95,000 3 bedroom house but its on a council estate in a rough area and needs extensive redecorating. I havent seen anything decent in my area really for less than 120k

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.