The Student Room Group

Working at HMV.

Hi I am applying to work at HMV and I want to know what the interview:confused: is like and what working for them is like. If can help please post:biggrin:.
Thanks a Bunch:smile:
Reply 1
Interview:

Small Group. Feeling = informal (but dress formally although you don't need to take any piercings out or anything). Most of us wore suits but everyone looked like they'd never worn a suit in their lives/borrowed their mum's/dad's shirt (including me).

Write names on paper.

1. Introduce yourself. Tell them which areas you are interested in (DVD, music etc.). Recommend a product you bought/consumed in the last year (DVD, game, CD, piece of tech). Be enthusiastic.
2. Give examples of good customer service (not personal examples but ideas of what you think that is: being attentive etc.)
3. As a group you'll be given ideas about what the important aspects of working as a seller at HMV are and you have to order them as you see fit. I won't tell you how (and there IS a right answer) but I don't think it matters anyway. Just explain your reasoning.
4. They will give you scenarios as a group and you have to decide what the best course of action is. They're not hard but they're along the lines of 'someone comes in and wants a film for his mother but doesn't know her taste. how do you help her? what's the first thing you say?' Again these are group question so it just involves shouting out answers.
5. There are items in a basket and you have to pick one and sell it. Just enthuse about it and if you don't know a single thing about any of the products, focus on any details on the item (is this a second album? is this a 3D film?) also think about how you would maximise sales - are they included in offers? can you recommend a similar item?

Tip 1: Apart from the first and last example, you are not really individually singled out. Instead you are probably being assessed on how well you contribute to the group. Be sure to be heard but don't drown out others. If you are shy (I am AND I have anxiety so I was sh1tting bricks beforehand), focus on your enthusiasm for whatever it is you like. It's like convincing a friend to listen to, watch or play what you just bought and loved. Be braver than normal/don't hold back. The relaxed atmosphere will make this easier for you so don't worry.

Tip 2: Try to make your group 'stand out' in the supervisors mind. Make him or her feel like they'd want to work with your group. Rather than viewing others as competition, work together to give your group a good feeling so they don't forget you.

Tip 3: Look up recent news about HMV just to keep up to date because they may ask you what's going on. Also note their competitors. This won't be an individually targeted question but it's good to show that you are interested in the business side of things.
Reply 2
Thanks for that it was really helpful. Unfortunately they didn't ask me for interview but this will come in handy if I apply again.
Thanks again:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending