The Student Room Group

Extra-Curricular

For part of my personal statement I am planning to talk about running a Gaming community but I have two main problems, Should I mention that it is a gaming community or be vague and say things such as that I am a server Server host?
Also would statistics about it be acceptable? As in could I say we have 20,000 people coming on each month? (Not the actual phrasing I would use but in a similar sense) and since I plan on applying for Economics would talking about how it is a successful business with thousands of purchases of items and how I get this to be efficient and work well be decent?
I am just scared it will be seen in a negative light either way if I am purposely vague or mention it is to do with gaming? xD Thanks in advance to anyone who can help shed some insight into my problem. :smile:
Original post by Penguinfarts
For part of my personal statement I am planning to talk about running a Gaming community but I have two main problems, Should I mention that it is a gaming community or be vague and say things such as that I am a server Server host?
Also would statistics about it be acceptable? As in could I say we have 20,000 people coming on each month? (Not the actual phrasing I would use but in a similar sense) and since I plan on applying for Economics would talking about how it is a successful business with thousands of purchases of items and how I get this to be efficient and work well be decent?
I am just scared it will be seen in a negative light either way if I am purposely vague or mention it is to do with gaming? xD Thanks in advance to anyone who can help shed some insight into my problem. :smile:

If you're going to be vague about it, there's probably no point in mentioning it at all. Running a gaming community is different to just saying "My main hobby is gaming", and I think mentioning it would be fine.

However, for an academic subject such as economics, your main focus should be on discussing your academic interest in the subject. It's not a vocational course, so admissions tutors are unlikely to be very interested the details of how you run your business.

Saying something like "In my spare time, I run a successful gaming community with participation from over 20,000 members a month" or something sounds good, but you don't need to go into lots of detail, as you'll probably need those characters to discuss other things.
xD Thanks, I know about keeping Extra-Curricular things to a minimum as I have been told that 80% of my application is expected to be academic. I tried thinking of a way to say how Economic ideas I have been taught have helped me run it but I think that would sound too forced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending