The Student Room Group

Question about A-Level Maths?

I'm currently looking at colleges to apply to & am considering A-Level Mathematics (Single)

I'm Currently working at B at GCSE but targeted an A, I've only really started to enjoy maths, which I think is due to the fact that if I get stuck I actually work through it rather tan giving up!

What does A-Level Maths include and do you think I could cope, currently working at B/A?
Whats the work load like, and would you recommend it?
Thank you!

Also, I'm thinking of also taking Biology, Economics & Psychology.
I think Maths would compliment Economics & Psychology nicely.
Obviously it is a hard subject , but if you put the most in in lessons the workload outside of lessons isnt excessive. It depends on your ability to learn independantly I'd say, as there's a lot of textbook work and trying to understand things yourself. You will be able to cope otherwise they wouldn't let you on the course! What exam board are you doing? Go for it! Maths is a great subject to have and can be enjoyable as its so different to GCSE!
PS I've just started year 12 and am doing biology also!
Hope it goes well
Reply 2
Its hard! But can be done! Maths is probably (one of) the best subjects really, it is very employable :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by froa98
I'm currently looking at colleges to apply to & am considering A-Level Mathematics (Single)

I'm Currently working at B at GCSE but targeted an A, I've only really started to enjoy maths, which I think is due to the fact that if I get stuck I actually work through it rather tan giving up!

What does A-Level Maths include and do you think I could cope, currently working at B/A?
Thank you!

I hope that "rather tan" was a maths joke. You should definitely sine up to maths, Cos it's great!
Haha terrible jokes aside I found maths enjoyable. It was the one subject (besides chemistry a bit) I found where once you know it and are comfortable it doesn't take as much revision as some of the others (don't get me started about biology - although that too is a great subject, I just had to work a lot harder for it, although it did interest me more.)
If you have the perseverance and work ethic to continue tackling a concept you don't understand and don't give up easily I would say give it a go :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tammyd658
Obviously it is a hard subject , but if you put the most in in lessons the workload outside of lessons isnt excessive. It depends on your ability to learn independantly I'd say, as there's a lot of textbook work and trying to understand things yourself. You will be able to cope otherwise they wouldn't let you on the course! What exam board are you doing? Go for it! Maths is a great subject to have and can be enjoyable as its so different to GCSE!
PS I've just started year 12 and am doing biology also!
Hope it goes well

Thank you! :biggrin: I do Edexcel at GCSE and the college i'm looking at also does Edexcel. Hope year 12 goes well for you x
Reply 5
Original post by Mule
I hope that "rather tan" was a maths joke. You should definitely sine up to maths, Cos it's great!
Haha terrible jokes aside I found maths enjoyable. It was the one subject (besides chemistry a bit) I found where once you know it and are comfortable it doesn't take as much revision as some of the others (don't get me started about biology - although that too is a great subject, I just had to work a lot harder for it, although it did interest me more.)
If you have the perseverance and work ethic to continue tackling a concept you don't understand and don't give up easily I would say give it a go :smile:

It was actually a typo but i'm glad it passes as a joke :biggrin: & i agree, i think the thing with maths is just practising until you get the hang of it.
It's definitely one of my options now, thank you!
I had an A in GCSE Maths, and took it at A-level purely to complement Physics. Ended up dropping Physics at AS with a D, and continued a B in Maths AS to A2 alongside picking up Further Maths AS. So I guess you could say Maths is enjoyable.

C1 can be a struggle if you are still reasonably shaky on GCSE (as I discovered I was), but it gets better when you get to C2. What applied module will you be taking?
Reply 7
As long as your algebra is strong and you enjoy it, you seem like you have the right attitude to do well in maths. Don't be tempted to leave doing questions till later, make sure you solidly cover every topic so that revision is laughably easy because you're all set already. A2 maths is 'harder' but easier (At least for me; I did better in it by a fair bit).
Original post by froa98

Thank you!

What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
I had an A in GCSE Maths, and took it at A-level purely to complement Physics. Ended up dropping Physics at AS with a D, and continued a B in Maths AS to A2 alongside picking up Further Maths AS. So I guess you could say Maths is enjoyable.

C1 can be a struggle if you are still reasonably shaky on GCSE (as I discovered I was), but it gets better when you get to C2. What applied module will you be taking?

One of the colleges i've recently visited fo C1, C2 and S1 in year 1 then C3, C4 and M1 in year 2
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing at uni?

I'm not entirely sure yet. I was really considering psychology earlier this year, but a PPE is really appealing to me now.
Original post by froa98
One of the colleges i've recently visited fo C1, C2 and S1 in year 1 then C3, C4 and M1 in year 2

Ah, I haven't done S1 yet (my sixth form do it as part of A2, not AS), so I can't advise you in respects to that. It apparently comes in handy during A2 Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest