The Student Room Group

Maths and philosophy A level choices

Hi,

I am wanting to study maths and philosophy for 2015 entry, however am worried about not being offered any places due to the subjects I am taking. I currently do maths biology chemistry ( and psychology as). I am concerned because I am not doing further maths or an essay based subject (that they might want for philosophy). Do you think even with the right grades I will be offered a place?

Thanks
Original post by Swfc
Hi,

I am wanting to study maths and philosophy for 2015 entry, however am worried about not being offered any places due to the subjects I am taking. I currently do maths biology chemistry ( and psychology as). I am concerned because I am not doing further maths or an essay based subject (that they might want for philosophy). Do you think even with the right grades I will be offered a place?

Thanks

Hi :smile:

As you are doing maths in a joint honours with another subject, I doubt many universities will ask for Further Maths. From a quick search on the UCAS website's search engine (http://search.ucas.com/), none of the ones I looked at asked for Further Maths. Likewise, none of them stated that you required an essay based subject so I think your choices are fine for the course you wish to study. Your psychology AS should have contained some essay writing anyway so this shouldn't be a problem :smile: If you have any doubts, contact the universities directly as they can give you the best advice :biggrin:

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Alunzar
Hi :smile:

As you are doing maths in a joint honours with another subject, I doubt many universities will ask for Further Maths. From a quick search on the UCAS website's search engine (http://search.ucas.com/), none of the ones I looked at asked for Further Maths. Likewise, none of them stated that you required an essay based subject so I think your choices are fine for the course you wish to study. Your psychology AS should have contained some essay writing anyway so this shouldn't be a problem :smile: If you have any doubts, contact the universities directly as they can give you the best advice :biggrin:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah I've just seen a few that say it would be advantageous and didn't know how much of a disadvantage I'd be at without FM, and yeah the psychology should help. Thanks again, will contact the unis asap
An essay subject would have helped you; but philosophy A level is certainly not required. It over simplifies huge, huge metaphysical issues and it avoids logical and philosophical rigor to an absurd degree. Just show evidence of wider reading and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending