The Student Room Group

question about predicted grades

are we, the students, supposed to know our predicted grades prior to submitting the UCAS application? I've got an idea what mine are but no one from my school's told me precisely.

Also, apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but are predicted grades or AS grades given more importance?

I got 3As and a B at AS. I was thinking of declining the B and accepting the others but would this effectively be saying 'i got lower than an a in this subject' ?

I've seen around that some people decline all their AS's and go on predicted grades + a good set of GCSEs. Sorry if this has been covered before, bit of a panic thread ;(
Reply 1
rraze
are we, the students, supposed to know our predicted grades prior to submitting the UCAS application? I've got an idea what mine are but no one from my school's told me precisely.

Also, apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but are predicted grades or AS grades given more importance?

I got 3As and a B at AS. I was thinking of declining the B and accepting the others but would this effectively be saying 'i got lower than an a in this subject' ?

I've seen around that some people decline all their AS's and go on predicted grades + a good set of GCSEs. Sorry if this has been covered before, bit of a panic thread ;(

Most know, but schools don't need to tell students what grades they're predicted.

All other things the same, predicted grades.
Reply 2
so would you recommend I decline all my AS's and just put pending? (assuming I'm predicted all As)
You need to know your predicted grades so you know which unis you should be aiming at, so ask your subject teachers or your form tutor. If you got AAAB at AS, you should be predicted the same or maybe AAAA at A-level though. If I were you, I'd declare all your grades. Accepting the As and declining the B will make it obvious you have something to hide and unis might assume you did badly, as they also might if you declined them all. Usually students who decline grades got Cs and below, so in your case, I think your application would be stronger if you cashed them in.
Reply 4
thanks for all the advice.

That's what i was thinking kellywood but my first choice is oxford, so I thought it might harm my chances declaring the B, despite 4 predicted As. I suppose even if I do decline all my grades they'll assume I've done badly at AS because it isn't school policy to decline all.
rraze
thanks for all the advice.

That's what i was thinking kellywood but my first choice is oxford, so I thought it might harm my chances declaring the B, despite 4 predicted As. I suppose even if I do decline all my grades they'll assume I've done badly at AS because it isn't school policy to decline all.

Exactly. Whatever you do, they'll know you didn't get an A in the 4th subject, so it's better to declare it so all your unis know you got AAAB rather than leave them guessing as to what you actually got. I got an offer from Cambridge with AABB at AS, so unless the B was in a closely related subject to the degree you're applying for, I wouldn't worry too much. You still got As in the other 3 and the vast majority of offers are based on 3 A-levels.
Reply 6
cheers for the help.

by the way, I assume you declined the offer from Cambridge? says you're going to the University of Exeter on your profile.
rraze
cheers for the help.

by the way, I assume you declined the offer from Cambridge? says you're going to the University of Exeter on your profile.

No, it was my firm, but I missed the offer by 4 marks :mad: Damn English lit :p:
Reply 8
I have the sheets for my ucas ( given to me by pt) but is it too early to be given them out ? For instance 3 of my 4 teachers have just started teaching me ?
Reply 9
adil_2006
I have the sheets for my ucas ( given to me by pt) but is it too early to be given them out ? For instance 3 of my 4 teachers have just started teaching me ?

Well, if you NEED to submit the application soon then they'll have to do it. If you can wait a bit, maybe do so. But they should base their predictions mostly on prior academic performance, so actually knowing you personally shouldn't affect it much (if anything, if your grades were good at AS, then your predictions should reflect that and it may work in your advantage).
adil_2006

Could you give them to teachers you had last year instead? I had 3 English and sociology teachers and 2 history teachers and only 1 teacher for each subject had taught me at AS, so they did the references. Teachers that have only taught you for a few weeks are unlikely to know you well enough to write decent references.

Latest

Trending

Trending