The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Does Edinburgh favour Scottish applicants for medicine?

I am an English applicant from London and just read this article

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/mar/19/edinburgh-university-scottish-application-bias

I don't know how much truth is in it... but do Edinburgh favour Scottish students? Are there any statistics to show that they do, in particular for medicine?

Thanks
Reply 1
First thing to note is that the article is over 4 years old (it makes a reference to Gordon Brown being prime minister) and the situation has changed quite a bit since then. There are situations where local students from disadvantaged backgrounds can get offers with lower grades through various "widening access" schemes. This doesn't really apply to medicine though where places are much more strongly controlled by government compared to other subjects.

Long and short answer to your question is no, there is no bias towards Scottish students. It's generally accepted that it's easier to get in if you're English now anyway due to the changes in fees. Again, this doesn't really apply to medicine I don't think.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by qno2
First thing to note is that the article is over 4 years old (it makes a reference to Gordon Brown being prime minister) and the situation has changed quite a bit since then. There are situations where local students from disadvantaged backgrounds can get offers with lower grades through various "widening access" schemes. This doesn't really apply to medicine though where places are much more strongly controlled by government compared to other subjects.

Long and short answer to your question is no, there is no bias towards Scottish students. It's generally accepted that it's easier to get in if you're English now anyway due to the changes in fees. Again, this doesn't really apply to medicine I don't think.

Thank you, that's very reassuring and would make sense for medicine
There is actually a quota of about 107 for Scottish/EU and 83 for RUK students. However, if you look at the application ratios its actually easier for RUK students than it is for Scottish/EU students.

Quick Reply

Latest