Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing not everyone likes the idea of having a compulsary ID card, so, tell me how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I am guessing not everyone likes the idea of having a compulsary ID card, so, tell me how you feel.
    There's nothing wrong with it.In fact you can use it instead of carrying around your other documents that may get lost and cause a lot of trouble.
    I'm for it..

ReputationRep:
    i'd happily carry an ID card - nothing to hide. dont see what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    There's nothing wrong with it.In fact you can use it instead of carrying around your other documents that may get lost and cause a lot of trouble.
    I'm for it..
    I suppose since the ID card will be given to everyone, it will negate the need for other forms of ID being asked for, such as driving liscences or passports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    i'd happily carry an ID card - nothing to hide. dont see what the problem is.
    Remember you would have to carry it everywhere though, as you could be asked to produce it at any point by a police officer.

ReputationRep:
    i got loads of cards in me wallet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've no qualms with getting one. It won't be compulsory to carry them for years, but will gradually become more and more difficult and it becomes the primary proof of ID. At least it provides a means of identity which would be hard to forge and makes national security slightly less laughable.

ReputationRep:
    you do know that muslim women are exempt from having their photograph taken for the ID card. Doesn't that strike you as a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose since the ID card will be given to everyone, it will negate the need for other forms of ID being asked for, such as driving liscences or passports.
    exactly..that's why i'd love them..

ReputationRep:
    i don't have a problem with carrying one. Don't fancy paying for it myself tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I've no qualms with getting one. It won't be compulsory to carry them for years, but will gradually become more and more difficult and it becomes the primary proof of ID. At least it provides a means of identity which would be hard to forge and makes national security slightly less laughable.
    Well, the idea of the biometric portion of the card is to eliminate any possiblity of forgery as unless you get someone's eyes and hands, you cannot duplicate them on demand.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so that I can prove I'm over 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    i don't have a problem with carrying one. Don't fancy paying for it myself tho
    You have to pay for driving liscences and passports, so what's the difference.

ReputationRep:
    you do know that muslim women are exempt from having their photograph taken for the ID card. Doesn't that strike you as a bit strange.
    Ah, there just stupid extremists..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Yes, so that I can prove I'm over 18.
    You can get other ID to do that, like the connexions card. Don't you think it is a bit orwellian for the police to issue these cards and have the power to demand them at any time.

ReputationRep:
    Remember you would have to carry it everywhere though, as you could be asked to produce it at any point by a police officer.
    my driving licence is always in my wallet anyway, and you will be about to pay a little extra (cheaper than seperate ones) for an ID card which combines in your driving license/passport. i'd much prefer to combine a few things into one. also i carry medical alert card which i wouldnt have to cos theyd just swipe the card in hospital and find out that way.

seems silly that muslim women dont have to have their photo on their card - couldnt it just be one where you lift the flap to see the photo. i think that those head-to-toe outfits are dangerous anyway: there could be a huge man with a gun under there and not a woman at all... noone woiuld know till it was too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Ah, there just stupid extremists..... :rolleyes:
    So you are saying that any muslim is an extremist. Do you think JWs are extremists because they don't want blood transfusions?

ReputationRep:
    You can get other ID to do that, like the connexions card. Don't you think it is a bit orwellian for the police to issue these cards and have the power to demand them at any time.
    I have a Connexions card and an NUS card but not many accept them as proof of over 18 in Central London. I mean, lots of 16 and 17 year olds have them as well. I should have applied for a Provisional Driving License but I don't really need a car at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    no bar in the world would take a blinkin connexions card as proof of age!!! round here its passport or nothing in a lot of bars, some also take driving licences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    seems silly that muslim women dont have to have their photo on their card - couldnt it just be one where you lift the flap to see the photo. i think that those head-to-toe outfits are dangerous anyway: there could be a huge man with a gun under there and not a woman at all... noone woiuld know till it was too late.
    You try telling that to the muslim community, you would get linched (metaphorically of course)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.