The Student Room Group

If I were to take my parent's car to the practical test..

Would I need to be a named insured driver?

My dad would accompany me.

The rules being here

https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/rules-for-cars-used-for-driving-tests

Says it needs to be insured and taxed properly but does this also mean that the learner needs to be given as a named other user?
Reply 1
You need to be insured to drive your parent's vehicle. You will need to check with your insurance company about being added as a named driver since you're a learner, they may not necessarily cover you otherwise. Unless you are on an insurance policy that grants you the ability to drive that car you will not be considered properly insured.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
You need to be insured to drive your parent's vehicle. You will need to check with your insurance company about being added as a named driver since you're a learner, they may not necessarily cover you otherwise. Unless you are on an insurance policy that grants you the ability to drive that car you will not be considered properly insured.

Thank you.

Another q without making another thread; my instructor told me today that if you want your instructor to be with you to use their car on the day of the test, that you have to pay them around £60 or so for this :s-smilie:

I detect BS on this, surely there isn't an additional fee to use your instructor's car during the practical test?
Reply 3
Original post by MSI_10
Thank you.

Another q without making another thread; my instructor told me today that if you want your instructor to be with you to use their car on the day of the test, that you have to pay them around £60 or so for this :s-smilie:

I detect BS on this, surely there isn't an additional fee to use your instructor's car during the practical test?

That is BS. As far as I know, they shouldnt be charging you for using their car.
Original post by MSI_10
Thank you.

Original post by errrr...
That is BS. As far as I know, they shouldnt be charging you for using their car.

Of course you pay to use your instructors car during your test. £60 seems a bit much - I'd expect it to cost no more than the price of an hour lesson.
Original post by MSI_10
Thank you.

you'll pay the £20 odd that you would pay for a lesson- you're hiring the car for an hour so obviously you'll need to pay for it but i dont know why they would charge you £60.
Original post by deedee123
you'll pay the £20 odd that you would pay for a lesson- you're hiring the car for an hour so obviously you'll need to pay for it but i dont know why they would charge you £60.

i agree
Reply 7
Original post by deedee123

Totally agree - my instructor only charged me what he normally charged me for an hour's lesson
Reply 8
Original post by MSI_10
Thank you.

I know for my test, I took a 2 hour lesson before hand and then used the car for the test which is around and hour. Since lessons are about £20 an hour, is it possible this is what he was intending to happen?
Original post by MSI_10
Thank you.

Most people do an hour warm up before the test, so they pay for a two hour lesson - one hour which is actually lesson and the other for the test. Of course you'll have to pay to use the car, as you're still taking up the instructors time and making use of the car and fuel.

Quick Reply