The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Degree Change Help Please :(

I enrolled on the LLB course in April (due to pressure...most of my family are in Law) i've done the B120 and LB160, but my main passion is Psychology and Counselling. I asked about changing my Degree to Psychology and Counselling but i wouldn't be entitled to student support if i did, however, there's the option to do an Open Degree. I've yet to receive an e-mail about funding but has anyone else changed their degree to an Open Degree and still been able to receive funding?

Many thanks xx
Reply 1
Hi,

If you change to an Open Degree you can mix up modules as you please so you can do the psychology modules as mentioned. Your B120 and LB160 credits will also be counted towards the degree.
You should be able to still get funding with an Open Degree which why its has been suggested.

Please be aware though that the Open Degree is not BPS accredited so this will likely limit career options in the future unless you do an bps conversion course post grad after your degree. However, I am not 100% clued up on this so I would suggest looking into it further yourself and I guess it all depends on what you want to do in the future :smile:

I have the same problem, I want to change my degree pathway too but as I also did B120 and B121. For what I want to do I will now have to take an extra year on my degree. I have spoken to student finance though and they said I will get funding for the additonal 60 credits, it just sucks. Wish I could have known from the beginning I wanted to do psychology, not business studies!

Good luck,

Sarah
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by hinchy55
Hi,

If you change to an Open Degree you can mix up modules as you please so you can do the psychology modules as mentioned. Your B120 and LB160 credits will also be counted towards the degree.
You should be able to still get funding with an Open Degree which why its has been suggested.

Please be aware though that the Open Degree is not BPS accredited so this will likely limit career options in the future unless you do an bps conversion course post grad after your degree. However, I am not 100% clued up on this so I would suggest looking into it further yourself and I guess it all depends on what you want to do in the future :smile:

I have the same problem, I want to change my degree pathway too but as I also did B120 and B121. For what I want to do I will now have to take an extra year on my degree. I have spoken to student finance though and they said I will get funding for the additonal 60 credits, it just sucks. Wish I could have known from the beginning I wanted to do psychology, not business studies!

Good luck,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know i'm not the only one going through this lol. I've spoken to BPS and i can do a conversion course (like you said) at the end of my degree which i'm happy about. What area of Psychology are you looking to do?

Fingers crossed for funding and thank you for taking the time to reply to me :smile:

xx
Reply 3
Original post by LouLouBee
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know i'm not the only one going through this lol. I've spoken to BPS and i can do a conversion course (like you said) at the end of my degree which i'm happy about. What area of Psychology are you looking to do?

Fingers crossed for funding and thank you for taking the time to reply to me :smile:

xx

No problem!
I don't know what area yet, I've just enjoyed psychology a lot more than business. Really wish I knew that from the beginning but hey ho.
Reply 4
No problem!
I don't know what area yet, I've just enjoyed psychology a lot more than business. Really wish I knew that from the beginning but hey ho.

I know it may not mean much but at least we'll both have to take an extra year lol. You never know, we might be in the same group :smile: If i can get the finance sorted, i'll be starting in February.
xx
Reply 5
You should be able get the funding...As far as I know, we get the extra "year" that full time students are entitled to as well.
Reply 6
Original post by hinchy55)
Hi,

Please be aware though that the Open Degree is not BPS accredited so this will likely limit career options in the future unless you do an bps conversion course post grad after your degree. However, I am not 100% clued up on this so I would suggest looking into it further yourself and I guess it all depends on what you want to do in the future

Good luck,

Sarah

^ yeah you're definitely not clued up on this at all, i'd suggest doing research before you say things like the OU will limit career options. That's nonsense, there are people from the OU have gone to become professors at Oxford, and several other people now studying a masters/PHd at respectable universities after doing an undergraduate course at OU. the main thing is, because with a OU course it requires a lot of independence and discipline, hence why it is looked at with admiration. OU is a great choice, just a lot harder since you're oding it on your own and online.
Reply 7
Original post by talktogk
Original post by hinchy55)
Hi,

Please be aware though that the Open Degree is not BPS accredited so this will likely limit career options in the future unless you do an bps conversion course post grad after your degree. However, I am not 100% clued up on this so I would suggest looking into it further yourself and I guess it all depends on what you want to do in the future

Good luck,

Sarah

^ yeah you're definitely not clued up on this at all, i'd suggest doing research before you say things like the OU will limit career options. That's nonsense, there are people from the OU have gone to become professors at Oxford, and several other people now studying a masters/PHd at respectable universities after doing an undergraduate course at OU. the main thing is, because with a OU course it requires a lot of independence and discipline, hence why it is looked at with admiration. OU is a great choice, just a lot harder since you're oding it on your own and online.

Sorry I think I have been misunderstood, I didn't mean for my post to come across this way. I am doing an OU degree myself so wouldn't say it isn't possible to go for any career just that more studying may be needed depending on the career. As far as I'm aware to become a psychologist, your degree needs to be BPS accredited or you would need to take a further conversion course if said degree wasn't BPS accredited.

Just trying to be helpful, I don't think there was any need for you to stick your nose in, nobody seemed put off by my post or offended in any way....
Reply 8
Sorry I think I have been misunderstood, I didn't mean for my post to come across this way. I am doing an OU degree myself so wouldn't say it isn't possible to go for any career just that more studying may be needed depending on the career. As far as I'm aware to become a psychologist, your degree needs to be BPS accredited or you would need to take a further conversion course if said degree wasn't BPS accredited.

Just trying to be helpful, I don't think there was any need for you to stick your nose in, nobody seemed put off by my post or offended in any way....

I apologise in advance. Ive just been reading a lot of posts and there are a lot of generalisations about what the OU can offer. I am also doing a course at the OU too. But I wasn't aware that with psychology it was more complex. Well it is an open thread and you're bound to get people commenting....
Original post by talktogk
I apologise in advance. Ive just been reading a lot of posts and there are a lot of generalisations about what the OU can offer. I am also doing a course at the OU too. But I wasn't aware that with psychology it was more complex. Well it is an open thread and you're bound to get people commenting....

You cannot apologise in advance if your apology is after you've made the error.

"the main thing is, because with a OU course it requires a lot of independence and discipline, hence why it is looked at with admiration"

I've never seen this reason cited by academics, although I would fully expect to see this from an employer. Out of interest, who are the professors?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending