Why is Microsoft so ****? Watch

Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
And yet Bill Gates is so exorbitantly rich.

'Capitalism always gives you the best choice and product'- etc.

No, here's a prominent, perfect example of a monopolized market not providing the best product.

Thoughts?
noobynoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can sell crap for a lot of money you're going to get rich.

If you sell quality products at a low margin you're going to be poor.

The reason he is one of the richest people on Earth is he convinced people to license software which costs hardly anything to reproduce for large amounts of money! Genius.
jameswhughes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Windows is (or at least was for many years) the cheapest and easiest way to get people using computers. That's changing now with other devices like smartphones and tablets coming in where Microsoft isn't dominant. Computers are far from a monopolized market these days, and a Windows machine is just one of the many choices available.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The quote seems VERY off, you look at most markets, but definitely tech, and you see it to be total crap. If you have 2 choices: you spend £500m twice on 2 R&D budgets for two products to be released in 2020 and 2021 respectively, or you spend it once and release a watered down version in 2020 and the "updated" version in 2021 which do you choose? If there isn't the competition there which necessitates the better product to stay ahead (or if you're correctly out of sync with the competition so you're releasing several months apart) then it's the second less expense and more income (at least relative to the expense).

I assume this is a bit of a "eurgh, windows sucks thing", in which case, as stated, it can be a cheap easy solution in that it's pre-installed and and go on anything rather than being pre-installed and go on predetermined and potentially relatively expensive hardware (ie, OSX), or having to do it yourself with Linux. And, of course, additionally with the OSX you aren't tied down to specific hardware, M$ doesn't pretend to know what you want/need, they just give you the tools to get it done.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Windows has tonnes of functionality but the user interface sucks ass (I'm referring to 8.0/8.1). Office is dominant in the corporate world despite excellent free offerings like Open Office or Libra. I guess it comes down to the entrenched Microsoft software at work, school and universities. We're used to it and for most a computer and Windows are synonymous. It's our fault really because we're buying MS year after year without a second thought.

Windows mobile is comparatively speaking a failure. It still has single digit market penetration. I hate the cold corporate look of Metro so I'm glad it's failing. Microsoft play dirty when they have a dominant position, so go iOS/Android.

People that recommend Linux are having a laugh. It's just too much work for a laymen. Could you leave your grandad with a Linux PC?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)

No, here's a prominent, perfect example of a monopolized market not providing the best product.

Thoughts?
[Citation Needed]

This sounds like something you've just made up on the back of a fag packet, tbh.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
[Citation Needed]

This sounds like something you've just made up on the back of a fag packet, tbh.
Well, the style might, but the substance is essentially what it's advocates say all the time.
INTit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Microsoft suck so much yet they are still dominant then the competition needs to seriously up their game.
Don't agree with that. Windows is still the best OS with the best development tools, the best web server and the best RDBMs(my opinion). That is why Bill Gates is so rich.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by INTit)
If Microsoft suck so much yet they are still dominant then the competition needs to seriously up their game.

Don't agree with that. Windows is still the best OS with the best development tools, the best web server and the best RDBMs(my opinion). That is why Bill Gates is so rich.
Dvorak is a superior keyboard to QWERTY, but it never took off because QWERTY was the de facto standard and everyone was used to it.

Same thing here.
ronmack
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Microsoft market cap is 370 billion. Bill Gates has a lot of investment other than Microsoft http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Investment
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago

Thoughts?
Bill Gates left the company in ~1999, at which point their software was among the best on the market.
heisenburger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're going to hate on anyone, surely it must be Apple, for charging ridiculously high prices for repeated, outdated tech year after year by fooling their customers.

Unfortunately, Microsoft didn't see the boom of the phone/tablet market coming, it's what happens in an always evolving industry like this one. One misstep and you're out of the game. But at least they've continued to innovate and bring something new to the table.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thoughts?
In fairness, there are plenty of alternatives. I've liking Linux a lot more than Windows, and WPS Office is a very good MS Office alternative.

And as others have said, if you're looking for the real villain in terms of monopolising market and using brand image to sell customers rubbish technology, blame Apple rather than Microsoft.
Mr...
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Microsoft's 'crapness' is subject to opinion and debate. :fyi:
tombayes
  • Study Helper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Windows is (or at least was for many years) the cheapest and easiest way to get people using computers. That's changing now with other devices like smartphones and tablets coming in where Microsoft isn't dominant. Computers are far from a monopolized market these days, and a Windows machine is just one of the many choices available.
No, As of Sept 2014: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...re_by_category

Windows has 91% of the desktop market
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey!!

You take that back
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tombayes)
No, As of Sept 2014: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...re_by_category

Windows has 91% of the desktop market
I didn't say it didn't, however smartphones and tablets are increasingly relevant and a much faster growing market, where Windows is lagging far behind iOS and Android.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
I didn't say it didn't, however smartphones and tablets are increasingly relevant and a much faster growing market, where Windows is lagging far behind iOS and Android.
But were they not quite late into the mobile market
Also, rather amusingly, they make more money off Android than their own OS
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
But were they not quite late into the mobile market
Also, rather amusingly, they make more money off Android than their own OS
Yeah, they were far too slow to adapt. Especially with Steve Ballmer saying the iPhone would be a flop because it didn't have a keyboard :lol:
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
The internet explore browser is dire, that's what I'm thinking of in particular. Hate the mail too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.11%
No (457)
72.89%

Watched Threads