Marcia107
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,

I graduated with a BSc in July this year and have now returned to the same University to complete an MSc. My BSc was in Physical Geography, while my MSc is in Environmental Management.

It's only the end of the first week of lectures but I've already been given 2 assignments - their deadlines are within the first two weeks of November.

I was just wondering if anybody is aware of what I now have to do differently in terms of my assignments in order to be 'Masters' level?

Does anybody know what changes I now need to make to my assignment content? writing style? amount of referencing? quality of figures/tables/data? etc.

The only reason I am asking so far in advance is because I'm also working part-time while studying full-time, so need to prioritise my work and crack on with it whenever I get a chance to!

Thanks!
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
A few things that come to mind immediately:

- you're probably expected to read more around the subject than before, i.e. more articles and from different philosophical points
- more importance on critically evaluating articles rather than just summarising their findings

If I remember correctly though, I had a lecture dedicated to this question in my masters.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I was told that the key was demonstrating critical analysis of what I was reading. Finding opposing views, explaining how they differed then explaining which I preferred and why (or why I didn't like any of them!).

Reading was high volume but more focussed than at undergrad. There was more in-depth reading on smaller areas of my subject and I was responsible for finding it, rather than using supplied reading lists as a starting point and expanding on them.

When I had questions if this sort over my first assignment, I asked my course leader. Maybe yours could help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (69)
33.01%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.75%
No (55)
26.32%
I'm not sure (27)
12.92%

Watched Threads