The Student Room Group

Is black history month an insult?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Because it's only celebrating the achievements of one race?
Duh.

but then white people get celebrated almost everyday but there is nothing on black people and non whites. we learn about NAPOLEAN BUT NEVER STEVE BIKO OR MALCOLM X
I'll pay attention this year. A whole month seems excessive.
Tbh I feel sorry for the Irish, they got it just as bad as black people, sometimes even worse during slavery times and nobody really remembers this. They're also responsible for black people being freed in britain.

Black history is a pisstake though. Fair enough world war 1 and world war 2 were important no denying about that, but they need to go into black history some more. It seems like the history curriculum is very nationalist. I find it funny e.g. in king james they don't actually go into how he was the guy who started the slave trade to irish, about the african company and how they regularly dumped people off board. They only talked about how he tried to start off catholicism once again, how he started merging England, Scotland and how his son got killed by the puritans. I found this out yesterday and I'm 21.

Also all they do for majority of the month is show successful rappers, martin luther king, Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela. Not really enough considering the amount of history that was lost, although it's better than no history lessons(look at the complete lack of Asian history or red indian history in the curriculum)
Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY
but then white people get celebrated almost everyday but there is nothing on black people and non whites. we learn about NAPOLEAN BUT NEVER STEVE BIKO OR MALCOLM X

Lol Malcolm X is always talked about in the curriculum and I didn't learn once about Napolean in my history.

Black history month should definitely be done in USA though as it's a considerable amount of people there and it is a very mixed population.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Look at what Morgan Freeman said on the matter. I agree with him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah I think slavery was an insult.
Reply 45
Original post by Andy98
Look at what Morgan Freeman said on the matter. I agree with him

Posted from TSR Mobile

video

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Lots of people have suffered, we don't need to glorify one bout suffering, inadvertently over the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
As though to say black history is not extensive enough it can fit into one month, and the rest of the year is devoted to white history.. I haven't been to a museum in years but if I remember right they're basically shrines of white history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is as insulting as Women's history month would be. History is history.
Original post by coppergate

Thread is 3 years old. Well done.
Original post by coppergate

Well done for bumping. cant see you lasting long.
Regardless of whether it’s rascist or not, it’s divisive and unnecessary.
Original post by MrMango
As though to say black history is not extensive enough it can fit into one month, and the rest of the year is devoted to white history.. I haven't been to a museum in years but if I remember right they're basically shrines of white history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black History month, in my humble white opinion, is indeed an insult to black people. Their history is everyone's history, and their achievements are human achievements, not "black" achievements. "Black" history intertwines throughout the human story. There is not a seperate box for white history, Asian history and black history, there is world history, that is what needs to be taught. The amount of people wandering around the place with no idea what happened beyond "Julius Caesar invaded Britain, at... let me think... 1000 AD?" NO! No more, please! Ignorance of the legend of man's story must cease! World history forever more!
Original post by v1le 4ranko
Black History month, in my humble white opinion, is indeed an insult to black people. Their history is everyone's history, and their achievements are human achievements, not "black" achievements. "Black" history intertwines throughout the human story. There is not a seperate box for white history, Asian history and black history, there is world history, that is what needs to be taught. The amount of people wandering around the place with no idea what happened beyond "Julius Caesar invaded Britain, at... let me think... 1000 AD?" NO! No more, please! Ignorance of the legend of man's story must cease! World history forever more!

Isnt the point that it emerged because it was being ignored altogether. Maybe read up on its orgins and purpose?
Original post by HeavyTeddy
It's insulting. It suggests that the entirety of black history can be or should be discussed in one month instead of being an integrative part of history lessons. It's compensatory, and even then, it's not really a celebration when most of the time they're discussing slavery classrooms during this month.

Terrible that they have separate classrooms for slaves. Equal opportunities for slaves!
If you’re talking about the U.K. it’s a given that museums here will focus on U.K. history. So, a whole month dedicated to black history is actually quite a lot when you consider the percentage of black people and other minorities that reside here.

When we look into things too deeply, everything can be questioned, just be happy that you get a whole month dedicated to you. I’m Asian, my grandfather and his brothers fought in the world war, and this never even gets mentioned (or if it does, I seem to have missed it).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Isnt the point that it emerged because it was being ignored altogether. Maybe read up on its orgins and purpose?

Oh, I have no doubt about that. But I'm afraid that packing it all into one month isn't the right way to do it, if you read my reply you will know how I think it ought to be taught.
the faxt remain that most learn little black history outside of that time. That BME achievements arent celebrated and are brushed under the rug. Until its part of the ciriculum, then yes, that the sad reality
Original post by v1le 4ranko
Oh, I have no doubt about that. But I'm afraid that packing it all into one month isn't the right way to do it, if you read my reply you will know how I think it ought to be taught.

It isnt all packed into one month. Its just given exra emphasis during that month.

The people that moan abiout history teaching tend to be those who opted out or arent in school. There is nothing preventing people picking up books.
Original post by B-FJL3
Uh-huh, that and invent a truckload of things which have immeasurably improved humanity's lot - from penicillin and aeroplanes to the computer and the internet we're having this discussion on. That and creating beautiful works of art and sculpture, building incredible cities, cathedrals and monuments, producing great works of literature and poetry, sending the first men into space or to the north and south poles...etc...etc...

Oh, and of course nothing good was ever done for the people whose lands we took over... oh no, definitely not anything like giving them improved transport infrastructure, the rule of law, parliamentary democracy, a massive head-start in business terms by enabling them to speak English, and, lest we forget, we also taught them to play the organised sports they take such pleasure in routinely thrashing us at.

Black history month is a divisive absurdity. We are all British, regardless of colour, how about celebrating that together rather than finding things to argue over. Personally I'm sick and tired of being told I should be ashamed of Britain's more recent imperial past and should feel guilty about slavery. How about acknowledging that we banned it first, that we fought to stop it, and that the world is not so easily divided into good and evil.

what about enslaving people sending them to war taking their land or taking their resources

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending