marko220684
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a question that is puzzling me regarding the use of language in the last chapter of mice and men. It is part of my homework for English gcse.

The question is as follows. "How does Steinbeck use language to create the impression of slim at this point in the novel"

It's the part when slim comforts George after George kills Lennie, and i don't really understand what the question is referring to by Language. does it mean his choice of words when comforting George ?

Any help would be appreciated thank you.
jeavons123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by marko220684)
I have a question that is puzzling me regarding the use of language in the last chapter of mice and men. It is part of my homework for English gcse.

The question is as follows. "How does Steinbeck use language to create the impression of slim at this point in the novel"

It's the part when slim comforts George after George kills Lennie, and i don't really understand what the question is referring to by Language. does it mean his choice of words when comforting George ?

Just eat the mice!
dogs4eva7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Sort of. What sort of words Slim uses and his actions (if I remember correctly from my GCSE)

He's always there at key moments and is sort of the 'spiritual leader' of them all
marko220684
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you for your reply's.
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I did an analysis of the character of Slim in my GCSE controlled assessment and got an A* for it

During the last bit where Slim confronts George basically:
Slim is always there for vital moments in the novel like Lennie’s death. Instead of being engrossed in Lennie and the fact that he had just died, “Slim came directly to George and sat down beside him, sat very close to him.” Slim coming and sitting beside George, Steinbeck really emphasised Slim’s empathy through repetition. It was like Slim wasn’t there to comfort him, he was there to take George’s grief and help him accept it. Slim is the only character who understood why George killed his best friend. Slim is brighter than the other characters and he knew instead of congratulating George like the other characters did he knew George regretted what he did. Steinbeck described things this way to show Slim’s authority. He is the first to come directly to George to show he is the one in control over all the others but also shows Slims tender side and how although he is seen as God-like he has no power over anything that happens, ‘in life and nature “the best laid plans of Mice and Men often go wrong.” Slim understands that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed