Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    right here we go!

basically this aged machine i am using is pissing me off. it currently stands at a 733mhz p3 with 191(why the one?!) mb of ram, running windows 98. its struggling lately on a bare minimum of programs and it will be following me to university.

i was thinking of doing an inexpensive upgrade just to get it through my university years. my intial thought is to get it up to 1ghz and 512mb of ram.

Ram i can do, down the shop, slot it in easy. its the processors i dont understand. is there some way in the system/or an online scan (?) to find the name/number of the motherboard? need to find out whether it will take a 1ghz chip....

also can anyone help me with finding a good site with good prices, i have no knowledge of prices of P3 processors so dont know whats a good deal.

i found this:
    http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/...ange_under_250

is this little upgrade actualyl worth it too? i mean for the money involved will the performance be much improved?

ReputationRep:
    Simply find out what processor it uses (pentium or amd). Do this by My computer > properties, or read the bios on loading. Then go and buy a 1ghz chip of either.

Replacing the chip can be tricky, i broke the housing the first time i tried. It takes quite a lot of force to get the heat sink off the processor. (i find pentium easier to change).

find the mobo make from the bios.
    and go online to the manufacturer site to check.

+ 733 yo 1ghz is not much.
    ram is the best upgrade on a low spec machine like yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    Simply find out what processor it uses (pentium or amd). Do this by My computer > properties, or read the bios on loading. Then go and buy a 1ghz chip of either.

Replacing the chip can be tricky, i broke the housing the first time i tried. It takes quite a lot of force to get the heat sink off the processor. (i find pentium easier to change).

find the mobo make from the bios.
    and go online to the manufacturer site to check.

+ 733 yo 1ghz is not much.
    ram is the best upgrade on a low spec machine like yours.
    good man!:cool:

yeah the processor jump isnt much, but im limited by p3 itself and money so.. i dont want to be replacing the whole motherboard as i might as well get a new computer...

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you plan to use XP then upgrading your RAM would be more important than the processor upgrade. Motherboards are very cheap anyway if that needs replacing.

ReputationRep:
    you forgot to say what kind of ram you have, although I'm guessing it will be SDRAM due to the age. I would be careful if you do a component upgrade, especially with the ram, as if you get DDR or some of the newer SDR your motherboard may not be able to run it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    You can get a P4 motherboard for £31.71 at www.scan.co.uk
    get an amd motherboard if you do decide to change. processors are cheaper and IMO just as good. I know loads of people are gonna disagree with that tho, as with everything on this forum.

notice i said "IMO".

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking for a good deal try going to <a HREF="http://www.ebuyer.co.uk">Ebuyer<\a>

ReputationRep:
    1Ghz processors are very expensive these days. If you only need an upgrade for uni, then a cheap AMD motherboard will cost less than £30 with an AMD Duron 1600+ costing around £25. It's a very good CPU, as fast as a Thoroughbred but with half the cache. It's easily overclockable as well, providing you have sufficient cooling. I'm tempted to get an Athlon Mobile Barton 2500+ myself soon and may try overclocking it to 3200+ speeds one day. Well worth the money.

Also, the minimum amount of RAM you need these days for basic PC usage is 256MB, DDR if preferable. RAM prices have soared recently so it might be better to wait a bit for it to come down towards the summer.

My guess is that you are using one module of 128MB SDRAM and one module of 64MB SDRAM. If you want to stick with your RAM, then there's an ECS K7S5A motherboard which will allow you to use your current SDRAM (do try and get a 128MB module or something to make it 320MB) and if you do decide to get DDR RAM later on, you can stick that in instead.

Here you go:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=25857

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52134

Total: £54.48 incl delivery

Adding 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM will nearly double that though. Might be better to just stick with your 192MB SDRAM and format your hard drive. If you can't back up, then delete as much crap as you can, then scandisk and defrag your drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    get an amd motherboard if you do decide to change. processors are cheaper and IMO just as good. I know loads of people are gonna disagree with that tho, as with everything on this forum.

notice i said "IMO".
    I have tried pentium and AMD, and AMD wins hands down. Also, you may wish to consider windows 2000 as it is untra stable and has never causes my computer to crash, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    1Ghz processors are very expensive these days. If you only need an upgrade for uni, then a cheap AMD motherboard will cost less than £30 with an AMD Duron 1600+ costing around £25. It's a very good CPU, as fast as a Thoroughbred but with half the cache. It's easily overclockable as well, providing you have sufficient cooling. I'm tempted to get an Athlon Mobile Barton 2500+ myself soon and may try overclocking it to 3200+ speeds one day. Well worth the money.

Also, the minimum amount of RAM you need these days for basic PC usage is 256MB, DDR if preferable. RAM prices have soared recently so it might be better to wait a bit for it to come down towards the summer.
    I have a duron 1600 and it works wonderfully, it was my old motherbaord that didn't. I suggest not getting a K75SA, the CMOS wipes itself every couple of months and they have no overclocking options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Yeah pretty cheap just looked... motherboard for £28 and a 1.8Ghz athlon for £49 (both including VAT) isn't too pricy at all, slap in some cheap RAM and away you go.

I would go for DDR, rather than SDR. DDR will be supported by motherbaords for ages, but any future upgrades may cause you to buy new ram if you get SDR

ReputationRep:
    hmmm...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=34324

and

confused by "socket A" on the processor tho...ill research it

also graphicaly what will happen, at the moment i have an aged 82810E grapphic controller, will in come with integrated graphics or...sorry "i know nothing" *italian accent*

sorry to bother you lot, some time searching should sort out my problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    hmmm...

and

confused by "socket A" on the processor tho...ill research it

also graphicaly what will happen, at the moment i have an aged 82810E grapphic controller, will in come with integrated graphics or...sorry "i know nothing" *italian accent*

sorry to bother you lot, some time searching should sort out my problems
    socket a = amd duron, athlon. NOT amd 64
    look for "onboard graphics"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I have a duron 1600 and it works wonderfully, it was my old motherbaord that didn't. I suggest not getting a K75SA, the CMOS wipes itself every couple of months and they have no overclocking options.
    You say that your prefer AMD to intel processors, and yet you are using a duron?! Shame on you.

And yes, I have tried both and IMO intel win hands down in pretty much every category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You must have been unlucky then. I have had mine for nearly 2 years with no problem. And I have used both SDRAM and DDR RAM in it before. Very useful indeed.

Ebuyer offer very cheap prices but their after-sales services is a bit of hit-and-miss. They will either be very generous and replace your item (if faulty) immediately the next day, without even asking for the original back(!) or will just simply blank you and ignore your e-mails for weeks. Fortunately, they have done a good service for me. They even deliver 1-2 days earlier than specified!

ReputationRep:
    I would go for a P4 2.4C/E - A typical Intel CPU with both quality and speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    You say that your prefer AMD to intel processors, and yet you are using a duron?! Shame on you.

And yes, I have tried both and IMO intel win hands down in pretty much every category.
    as i say. your either intel or amd. there is no middle ground.

ReputationRep:
    I am very much an AMD person. I have used AMD chips for the past 6 years and find them faster than Intel at the same price point.

ReputationRep:
    And for components at a cheap affordable price, try http://www.ebuyer.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)

:confused: A Duron is an AMD processor. And don't underestimate them. Their previous budget CPUs might have been crap compared to the P4 or faster Celerons (2Ghz+). But their new Applebred 1600+ and 1800+ will kick Thoroughbred ass! Providing you have sufficient cooling, you can overclock them to speeds as fast as those of a Thoroughbred 2200+. Anyways, my trusty Duron 1.3Ghz works just as fine for me. Even with only 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM and a GeForce FX5200, it can play the latest games in my Shuttle!

Oh yea, if you want DDR RAM, try Crucial. They are only a few quid more than unbranded and generic RAM but they use next day Special Delivery (for free!) and have a no-hassle returns. They will just simply replace your RAM if you bought the wrong one without any fuss.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.