Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what part time jobs can a 14 year old do other than paper rounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassam)
    I worked on a farm at 14. Mainly worked with the horses but if you dont like horses there are plenty of other thing for you to do on a farm.
    Farm owners are normally always ready to take on a helping hand!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i remember back in the days when i was 14 i used to work in a newsagent. wages were ok I guess well for that time £4.50 an hour? thats what you would get if you were to work at mcDonalds now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can get permission from your school, you can work upto 4 hours a week doing most things. I worked in a shop in town on a saturday pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    As long as you can get permission from your school, you can work upto 4 hours a week doing most things. I worked in a shop in town on a saturday pm.
    most shops have a over-6 policy because they require national insurance number and they won't let under 16 work on tils.

best bet for an under 16 year old is working in a restauarnt/cafe either waiting or kitchen porting etc.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    most shops have a over-6 policy because they require national insurance number and they won't let under 16 work on tils.

best bet for an under 16 year old is working in a restauarnt/cafe either waiting or kitchen porting etc.

lou xxx
    Restaurants require NI numbers too!!!

You can apply for a number that will let you work! I can't remeber the ins and outs of it as I was 14, er 14 years ago (O...M...G...!)

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs can u do in a cafe?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs can u do in a cafe?
    Stockbrokers or barristers are usually cafe employees.

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a hairdressers when I was 14. All day Saturday and one night in the week. Didn't pay too much but good for a little extra spending money.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working in a library for £6/hr since the age of 14. They issue you with a temporary national insurance number so it's not really a problem. I would suggest trying as many shops/businesses in the area as you can. Most places are reluctant to employ under 16s or even under 19s but if you catch them when they're desperate for staff, like I did, you might be lucky.

ReputationRep:
    I cut grass when i was 14 - no money in that

I also worked in a local patesserie, - that was a bit dodgey tho, i'm not sure it was legal

ReputationRep:
    undefinedundefined hi
    im 14 and i have a national insurance number and have done since i was 5 becuz my mum gets money for me from the council from a fund that my dad payed into does this mean i could maybe get a job as a waitress at a resteraunt because i have an NI?
    sum1 let me no plz im short of money an i need it
    m x
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    don't expect to get work in any restaurants or cafes as in most of them you have to be over 18, no exceptions. Perhaps if you were looking at a small village family run place then it would be different, but the law is the law and if anywhere has even a drop of acohol and there are under 18 either working or on the premises they will be stripped of their license. Sorry, but I have worked in restaurants for 5 years and I have never seen anyone under the age of 16 working in them.

ReputationRep:
    Football Referee? We get paid 18 pounds per game at the lowest level and if its an under 12 game a younger its is only 30 mins each way which is 18 pounds per hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex H)
    Football Referee? We get paid 18 pounds per game at the lowest level and if its an under 12 game a younger its is only 30 mins each way which is 18 pounds per hour!
    There is only a certain number of referees required :cool: lol

ReputationRep:
    i'm 14 but am going 2 be sitting my standard grade exams (scottish version of GCSE) this year. i am just 1 of the younger people in my year. Where could i get a saturday job and how would i go about getting 1? Me and my best friend are plannin on going about our town job hunting soon and i was also wonderin if places such as Safeway or the indian resteraunts, etc would consider hiring us to post leaflets through peoples doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikkle_emmie)
    undefinedundefined hi
    im 14 and i have a national insurance number and have done since i was 5 becuz my mum gets money for me from the council from a fund that my dad payed into does this mean i could maybe get a job as a waitress at a resteraunt because i have an NI?
    sum1 let me no plz im short of money an i need it
    m x
    how the hell did you get a NI?
    i want one if i can get job, for work experience i worked in pizza hut, it was really really fun, so could i work there?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.