Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    but you must consider, would you be a better person, or at least have more fun than you do? is being who you are important at all? its a little disneyland dont you think. the only way to get somewhere in this life is to adapt to what other people think of you. sad but true.
    No i disagree.
    I think that a person can fulfill their potential as a person by being who they are meant to be.
    To me, who i am is who i am, and thats all that matters.
    I adapt to people, but not to their labels, and if a person is too busy giving you a label to see who you are, then they aren't the sort of person who means much to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    No i disagree.
    I think that a person can fulfill their potential as a person by being who they are meant to be.
    I adapt to people, but not to their labels, and if a person is too busy giving you a label to see who you are, then they aren't the sort of person who means much to me.
    Well there is caring what something thinks and caring what someone thinks. If that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Well there is caring what something thinks and caring what someone thinks. If that makes sense?
    um, no. please explain.

ReputationRep:
    No i disagree.
    why does it matter to you who you are? is there some divine or natural intervention makes us strive to be unique? why bother? i agree, people who want people to conform (for want of a better word) are denying others there right to enjoy themselves how they are. if you would enjoy yourself more as some other person (say gain more friends by acting differently) then why not be another person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    um, no. please explain.
    Well I dunno either tbh. Perhaps I should delete that post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Well I dunno either tbh. Perhaps I should delete that post
    tut tut tut!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    why does it matter to you who you are? is there some divine or natural intervention makes us strive to be unique? why bother? i agree, people who want people to conform (for want of a better word) are denying others there right to enjoy themselves how they are. if you would enjoy yourself more as some other person (say gain more friends by acting differently) then why not be another person?
    Ah! Here you are missing my point.
    I don't strive to be unique. If who i am happens to fit in with other people, then i wont not fit in for the sake of it.
    But i strive to be who i want to be, whether it is to another persons style, or whether its something nobody else has never done before.

I would enjoy myself more as another person, merely because i have a low opinion of myself, but at least i can say that it is myself, and that is more important to me than having fun in the short term, as it means in the long term, there is no pretense to keep up, no illusion to have to fit to.;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I don't see the distinction between the two.
    Please explain.

ReputationRep:
    what happened to kryten floating around?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yup - one's is in bold and the other is in italics....

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the distinction between the two.
    Please explain.
    I can't I don't know what I'm on about!

I think I meant to do with caring what they think of you in that it is important to keep positive face however if you should not get the response you desire it's nothing to actually get worked up about. In general.

I'm tired leave me alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    what happened to kryten floating around?
    It was bigger than 50x50, and 20kb so i removed it, so the mod's didn't have to, and replaced it with danzavier while i try to get a chance to bring kryten back, unless i decide to create a totally new avatar, or stick with this one.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I can't I don't know what I'm on about!

I think I meant to do with caring what they think of you in that it is important to keep positive face however if you should not get the response you desire it's nothing to actually get worked up about. In general.

I'm tired leave me alone.
    Do you mean the difference between modifying your behavior to please other people and feeling a bit bad if you do/say something that people don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Do you mean the difference between modifying your behavior to please other people and feeling a bit bad if you do/say something that people don't like.
    Yes something like that. In changing your persona to accommodate people you are "caring" about what they think about you but if it turns out they think your'e a **** anyway, you shouldn't really "care", in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yes something like that. In changing your persona to accommodate people you are "caring" about what they think about you but if it turns out they think your'e a **** anyway, you shouldn't really "care", in my opinion!
    Well in that case, i don't care in either case.
    I don't care about people when they want me to change, because it means that they don't care enough about me to want me to be who i am.
    And everyone knows i'm a **** anyway, so theres no issue there.

ReputationRep:
    I think sometimes we should listen to people who tell us to "change". Just because we think we are being who we are, doesn't mean we have our own best interests at heart.

ReputationRep:
    keep voting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYa6)
    whyyy do you post such nonsense

Its Not nonsense

Its CHAT!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I think sometimes we should listen to people who tell us to "change". Just because we think we are being who we are, doesn't mean we have our own best interests at heart.
    i agree. i think it is only true friends that can say this to your face though. a lot of people wouldnt have the guts. but it also takes guts to change whats wrong. it sounds bitter when things you are meant to gossip about you is said to your face.
    in relation to tk's original post, i think it depends. everyone sometime somewhere has tried to make 'an impression', so that other people think good. i mean, in an interview, i would definately care what the person thought of me. but then just taking a walk down the street, i wouldnt care if a randomo thought i was wierd

ReputationRep:
    i don't care what people think of me, they can except the way i'm or forget it.

I think this might be the reason why i single now? who cares though

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.