The Student Room Group

Need help with studying?

I can't seem to find the correct topics in my books related to my lectures. It's so frustrating! :angry: I spend hours looking for the topics. I'm studying biochemistry and the books are 1000+ pages. So I don't want to read a "whole" chapter because that would be hundreds of pages long and I don't have time since I have other modules. My notes aren't sufficient enough to study from and in lectures they cover sections from different parts of the books. Its so hard to find each section and takes so much time. I'm currently in my second year. Can someone help me? Also I use different textbooks to my friends. They were recommended by my lecturers.
Although it's a pain in the backside, I don't think there is any way around this. My lecturers have said that for every hours worth of lecture you have, you should be doing 4 hrs of self study.
Make notes / cribcards or what ever your revision method is and crack on. No way around it, i'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by !!mentor!!
Although it's a pain in the backside, I don't think there is any way around this. My lecturers have said that for every hours worth of lecture you have, you should be doing 4 hrs of self study.
Make notes / cribcards or what ever your revision method is and crack on. No way around it, i'm afraid.

Yeah 4 hours would be well enough for each lecture. But I have 20+ hours of lectures and labs a week. I don't have enough time for that and to constantly search through the topics would waste so much more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kevlev
Yeah 4 hours would be well enough for each lecture. But I have 20+ hours of lectures and labs a week. I don't have enough time for that and to constantly search through the topics would waste so much more.

I have 21 hrs of lecture / labs a week and although I don't study for 4 hrs for each hour in uni, every day I study and research until I understand the day's topics. Whether that takes me 2 hrs or 6 hrs to understand, I just plough through.
If you think that is bad, wait until you get to the working world. The demands can sometimes be obscene.
Original post by !!mentor!!

I feel you man. 1 am on a friday night, still studying. Trying to learn the details of RNA transcription, not knowing how much is enough. Uni is really out of this world compared to A levels.
As others have already said you have to sit down and read through the pages until you understand. Biochem books are huge i.e. Principles of Biochem by Nelson, but there are other, smaller books with all the essential info such as Biochemistry by Lippincott (really good to get an overall picture with all the summaries). In addition you can always have a look at youtube videos, I personally find Kevin Ahern Biochem videos really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending