A question for vegetarians and vegans Watch

Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If we could synthetically create 'meat' that was artificially 'grown' and therefore never part of a living animal, would you hypothetically be prepared to eat it (assuming it tastes and looks just like the real thing)? Why?
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
If we could synthetically create 'meat' that was artificially 'grown' and therefore never part of a living animal, would you hypothetically be prepared to eat it (assuming it tastes and looks just like the real thing)? Why?
Would it be meat genetically? As in - beef that has been grown on a metal skeleton or something? Or a completely synthetic substitute that looks and tastes like beef?
Dima-Blackburn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should probably add a poll.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
It depends, because nonhuman animals may still have to be used for the preparation of the synthetic meat, for example by using their cells. Also, it's my understanding that DNA rapidly mutates when it is replicated, meaning that an assembly line of nonhuman animals, essentially, may be needed. Taking this point into consideration, as well as the act of eating synthetic animal flesh itself, also undercuts the notion that nonhuman animals' interests should be equally considered - it still treats them as commodities.

However, if there was a way to stop the use of nonhuman animals altogether in the production of synthetic meat, or have a "template" which could be used over and over again, then yes, I may consider eating synthetic meat.
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol at vegetarians and vegans
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure I'd be open to trying it. But the food I eat now is already awesome so I wouldn't be too bothered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads